What to learn to get hired?

You take me the wrong way - please note
Learn about control systems, design and implementation, control circuit design, trouble shooting including hard wired logic. Most control systems have hard wired logic.
I was not meaning to be hostile at all!
Unfortunately most of the world do not understand our Ozzie sense of humour!
I have never been afraid of being replaced either - if it ever happened so be it.
I think what BobB was implying is what I believe: Get some field experience, then go to school. Advanced schooling is kinda lost on someone who doesn't yet even know what they don't know. Without the experience of installing and trouble-shooting, how do you even know where best to focus your time, money, and attention at school? Apprentice type training is exceptionally valuable. It is so (sadly) common today to find folks who have no concept of how SCADA knows whether a valve is open or shut, much less how to cause it to change position or modulate. Experienced people will tell you that those basics are key. Then get into database mastery, when you fully understand what it is you actually are documenting. This is not eloquent, but I hope you take it in the vein it is intended.
Exactly what I intended to convey. Without field experience all the bits of paper in the world are useless as things are totally different in the academic and real worlds. The basic principles are the same but the execution is totally different.
It is nice to have time to examine things logically and methodically but when there is a line down, production stopped, workers sitting around - you just have to do what you have to do very quickly to get production up again.
I do understand both sides as I have my pieces of paper but I started on the other side then got my bits of paper. I still think it is the better way to start out as I found myself that understanding the real world actually helped me substantially in the academic world - certainly meant I ruffled some lecturers feathers though!
Good luck but get some practical first - it will make you far more valuable to a prospective employer.
I would try to get a job in a systems house if I were you - they have people from virtually every discipline and they all learn from each other. They also work as a team - read plenty of spread sheets running around between the various disciplines.
This was a very serious suggestion.

The most important things to learn have been overlooked here.
They are:
1. Ethics, always be honest and forthwrite in all transactions and proposals.
2. Punctuality, do not be late for work, when you promis 8:00 be ready to go at 7:55 not 8:05.
3. With every assignment you get, give just a little more than was expected.
4. When you leave an assignment or control panel, leave it looking better than you found it.
5. Give every assignment your very best.

The most important things to learn have been overlooked here.
They are:
1. Ethics, always be honest and forthright in all transactions and proposals.
2. Punctuality, do not be late for work, when you promis 8:00 be ready to go at 7:55 not 8:05.
3. With every assignment you get, give just a little more than was expected.
4. When you leave an assignment or control panel, leave it looking better than you found it.
5. Give every assignment your very best.

Very nicely written, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Ethical conduct, and ethical business relationships, are the most important traits that every craftsman of the art of PLC's must strive to maintain at all times, It is so important to remember that your clients all have info that you will be privy to... keep it private.

David

Hi

With some c++ and c# I would also look at some robotics as it is getting a lot more widely used in europe anyway as the costly robots as come down they have become faster and I think a lot easier to use.
I my self have come the trade route and I have no problem with a collage route but I would say remember it will be like starting all over again and I hope long hours and weekend work are ok with you because when the system is built and the control wiring is done now the programmer is the last in the line. When both the electrical and mech run late it's always the programming that that has to be done in 2 weeks when it was in the plan for 4 weeks

Best of luck and make sure you enjoy your work most of all

Donnchadh

B

Look at job adverts for some good pointers on what people are looking for. And don't forget to search for "junior" positions, you may have to suck up a hit on the salary for a little while.

Go on some sort of job site and search for "PLC" "SCADA" "Systems integration" "automation engineering" and other such terms. Many people have different words to mean the exact same thing.

See what people are looking for. When you see an acronym you don't know what it means, google it. I was out of this game for 10 years, but just got back into it. So I just did what I just suggested. I googled everything I could remember to see what has changed in 10 years. Yeah, nothing substantive has changed in 10 years. (Factories do not like being made obsolete in two years like they are games consoles or something)

Turns out that people call "Signing off" "CFAT" now, the FAT meaning Factory Acceptance Test. In fact almost everything is an acronym ending in FAT. Here's what it means. "This is what we asked for".
Ta-dah.
You won't be able to learn everything, you just won't. But if you can learn enough to blag it at the interview it's enough.

PID loops. Every muppet asks about these at interviews like as though they are some sort of barometer for perfection of control, so read up on those. In practise you'll learn that "3 term control" is rarely needed, but suits love saying it, so you always end up having to use them.

Probably the simplest thing, in the UK, to get into I guess would be a "Systems Integrator", I don't know what they get called in the US, but it's just an automation house that gets jobs, hopefully within a 100 miles of the office mostly, for some sort of control system. Chances are the customer doesn't know what they want, and neither does the systems integrator, but they will sit around a table to find out what the customer wants doing and what the Systems Integrator knows about till they find something that is compatible with both.
This gives you a broad exposure to a lot of commonly used equipment and rarely exposes you to an insane level of detail on a really obscure bit of kit. Learning the ropes this way will take a couple of years. From there... well... depends what you find.
I'm thinking I might go into technical sales support eventually.

Tailor your approach to reflect the kind of company you want to work for. I personally make my CV very attractive to engineers, not managers. I don't want to work at any place where I spend my time working more on my eloquence than my programming.

So my CV does not say "I'm a team player", because frankly, I'm not. Nor does it say I have great people skills, because frankly talking to other people and finding out what they want is a basic human function that many people do all day, every day. If some chump thinks that this is a skill, he's a chump and I don't want to work for him because he's going to be injecting his bone headed thinking into my day every day and I can well do without it.

My CV makes it quite clear, to an engineer with an engineer's mind, that I am a problem solver. I am resourceful, if I don't know the answer, I know how to know the answer. I know I will be sent to grimy, awful, remote, grey, meritless hellholes because that's where factories are, but I know my limits on how much of that I can take in any given month. You're going to be an employee, not a whipping post.

My CV also is quite clear on the subject of safety. Listen, you are going to hear a lot about safety if you get into this game, and I don't want to colour any judgement on that subject so I just snipped everything I just wrote.
But you've got to know that, safety is super important. Nobody else is going to actually look after us, we have to look after ourselves. I was given this advice on day one "Do not put your hands any place you would not put your dick".
Don't just say you think safety is important. Stand up for yourself and be fully ready to walk away if they try to make you do anything that is clearly stupid. Believe this, they will.

But to a manager, with a manager's mind, I am in my CV, disrespectful of hierarchical authority, obtuse, and a political liability. And long may that continue.

If I could go back, I'd learn how to sell pensions instead. Because I've never seen a pensions salesman in a two year old car.

Last edited:
I would suggest as many are saying that you just focus on being able to take all that you've learned in school and apply it to real life situations and improve existing conditions.

I think this is where a lot of educational institutions fall short.

You have something good going for you, which is you will have a degree. That goes a long way as far as getting your foot in the door at any larger company, at the same time degree'd individuals today are a dime a dozen.

Once there determine who's worth listening to, and do just that.

I was working for a company and they went broke - underestimated a couple of huge automation jobs very badly.
I like the reply from 'Branded' about not being a team player nd
But to a manager, with a manager's mind, I am in my CV, disrespectful of hierarchical authority, obtuse, and a political liability. And long may that continue.
Here here!!!
I was sought after by several large companies - one to set up a national automation business and run it - no good - I would no longer be 'hands on' - another to sell PLC and automation systems (multinational who is now buying up everything) - another to design and implement control systems with a very good mechanical engineer.
There were a few things that got in the way - I am also not a team player - I refused to be interviewed by HR (horrendous retards) who are in suits and do not have a clue - I cannot stand brown noses and tell them what they are in front of everyone else and do not care if anyone is offended.
You will probably find that any first interview is with HR - playing silly phsycological games - you will certainly not be able to be cheeky and tell them what you think in my manner or have the same attitude as Branded either for a first job in automation.
You will probably find you will have to play the silly games to get in where you want and learn.
I still think the best place to start is a systems house, as I suggested early in the piece. This has been emphasised by others as well - also known as automation house or systems integration house.
Once again, good luck.