What's the difference between MCB, MCCB & ELCB?

Snippet from:
http://www.answers.com/topic/circuit-breaker

• MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker)—rated current not more than 100 A. Trip characteristics normally not adjustable. Thermal or thermal-magnetic operation.
  • MCCB (Moulded Case Circuit Breaker)—rated current up to 1000 A. Thermal or thermal-magnetic operation. Trip current may be adjustable.
  • Air Circuit Breaker—Rated current up to 10,000 A. Trip characteristics often fully adjustable including configurable trip thresholds and delays. Usually electronically controlled—some models are microprocessor controlled. Often used for main power distribution in large industrial plant, where the breakers are arranged in draw-out enclosures for ease of maintenance.
  • Vacuum Circuit Breaker—With rated current up to 3000 A, these breakers interrupt the arc in a vacuum bottle. These can also be applied at up to 35,000 V. Vacuum breakers tend to have longer life expectancies between overhaul than do air circuit breakers.
Go here for Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker:
[size=-1]www.fujielectric.co.jp/fcs/eng/product/power_d/pdf/07_P004-006.pdf
[/size]

[size=-1]Go here for further study:
[/size]

[size=-1]http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/c/ci/circuit_breaker.htm
[/size]

[size=-1]
[/size]

I am going to take a guess that this is not a plc question.

If it is, then it is related to a plc that I haven't seen, or don't remember anymore.

Now, on the other hand, if it general electricity...

MCB normally stands for a "Molded Case Breaker. Typically a large frame circuit breaker in a large molded (plastic) case. General 100-1200 amps, though I believe I have seen them up to 2000 or 3000 amps. I like to use some of GE's, as the case for 15-100 amps is the same size, 4.88 x 8.00 I think. Mount and look nice in panels

MCCB is often "Molded Case Circuit Breaker".

ELCB = "Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker", or interuptor. Similar (not neccessarily identical to a GFCI.

Is this the type of info you're looking for?

regards.....casey

Last edited: