Where do wooden boxes come from?

Nice Little Down Home Business. Great to see everyone's fingers still attached. Must be the low stress environment.

That little shear they are using to cut the box panels has to have claimed a couple digits over the years.

Impressive video and good on them for carrying on the tradition.

Pretty cool, but I have to say, watching the video I noticed that I was gritting my teeth during a few scenes. Small wonder so many workers were killed and maimed on the job back in the day. I wonder if the steam driven saws at least have belt disengagement levers and e-brakes right at the machine so an operator could stop the blade from completely tearing something up.

But probably most of all: They know those machine are deadly. There's no false sense of safety.

Kind of sort of.

When I was a kid, eight years old and on, I worked around and with a lot of machinery that had open flat belts, unguarded chain sprockets, PTOs (Power Take Off) with open U-joints, etc. We were hammered on safety constantly, and every morning before we went out my mom checked us out for hanging threads on our jeans that could get caught in open shafts. We were aware of the dangers, and on our guard. Mostly, though, we were lucky.

When I was fourteen a friend got his pants leg caught in a PTO shaft. It ripped his leg off and he bled to death.

The final analysis - these folks are living dangerously. Literally.

I especially like that you can see the machinery at work, it's not all hidden behind guards (the down side being noted in Tom Jenkins' post above). Yes, it's potentially dangerous but notice that no one seems in a frantic rush. I noticed also the lack of safety admonishments. Where I work it's become positively visual clutter with all the posters, slogans, black and yellow tape, etc.

'I especially liked the wooden controls enclosure and wirenuts on the char embossing machine, and the presence of the canine morale officer.' - Ken Roach . That was a nice touch, wasn't it?

I am worried about the girl with the hair (you know who I mean). Just a few hair strands the wrong place and you have a nasty situation.

Apart from that I notice that the place is clean and bright (cleaned up for the movie ?), and the pace is modest. That helps a lot.