Which SCADA to use for multiple PLCs?

watertortoise

Hi there,

We've got multiple PLCs (say up to tens of them) with the same configuration communicating back via Modbus to one IP. Is there any SCADA software that will easily let us add new units to monitor (i.e. from a template sort of thing?).

From what I've seen so far this isn't straightforward to do on all SCADA software, and would require loads of copying and pasting etc when there's a new unit.

We just want to be able to click 'add unit' and put in the ID of the unit, and it starts monitoring, alarms etc.

Oh yes, and it has to be fairly affordable, maybe up to $2000. Hoping we don't have to develop something from scratch.

I saw people mentioned AdvancedHMI in the past, but that it doesn't like multiple Modbus devices on one IP?

Thanks!

The PLCs are cheap Siemens Logo clones. We only really need one SCADA client for now. I looked at Ignition, but looks like that starts at around $10,000.

I saw people mentioned AdvancedHMI in the past, but that it doesn't like multiple Modbus devices on one IP?

Thanks!
I just did a quick test with AdvancedHMI using 2 ModbusTCPCom driver instances. I set one to port 502 and the other to port 503. That let me run 2 instances of a simulator on the same PC and everything worked as expected.

I wanted to try 2 on the same port and IP address, but with different UnitIds, but I did not find a simulator that would let me simulate 2 different Units. However I did check the packet being sent for the request and it does request different UnitIds in the packet. So I would assume that it would possibly work.

I just did a quick test with AdvancedHMI using 2 ModbusTCPCom driver instances. I set one to port 502 and the other to port 503. That let me run 2 instances of a simulator on the same PC and everything worked as expected.

Ah, that sounds promising, I think I'll give it a test. Do you know if it is still under active development?

Well I stand corrected, it starts at $1500 list - over on the right, custom packages. It says for OEMs but anyone can buy it. Ignition works on modules and some of the functionality you need may not be available with the cheapest option. However you can download a 2 hour free demo to test your setup before purchasing.

I wanted to try 2 on the same port and IP address, but with different UnitIds, but I did not find a simulator that would let me simulate 2 different Units. However I did check the packet being sent for the request and it does request different UnitIds in the packet. So I would assume that it would possibly work.
I was able to find a simulator that would simulate multiple devices with different UnitIds. I setup two different units and it worked.

This is what I did for the test:

- Add a ModbusTCPCom driver to the form
- Add a 2nd ModbusTCPCom driver to the form
- Change the UnitId to 2
- Add a BasicLabel to the form
- Set PLCAddressValue to 40001
- Make sure the ComComponent is set to ModbusTCPCom1
- Add a 2nd BasicLabel
- Set ComComponent to ModbusTCPCom2
- Set PLCAddressValue to 40001
- Run the application

I was able to change the values in the simulated devices to unique values and each BasicLabel would show the value for the device specified.

Well I stand corrected, it starts at $1500 list - over on the right, custom packages. It says for OEMs but anyone can buy it. Ignition works on modules and some of the functionality you need may not be available with the cheapest option. However you can download a 2 hour free demo to test your setup before purchasing.

Ah, ok thanks for that. I guess I can give it a go to see what modules I'd need and work out how much from that.

I guess it works well to easily set up multiple similar devices as mentioned?

I was able to change the values in the simulated devices to unique values and each BasicLabel would show the value for the device specified.

Ah that's great, thanks so much for checking that. In terms of setting up multiple identical PLCs, I guess that would require some scripting to set up a PLC object/class that can be replicated?

Ah, ok thanks for that. I guess I can give it a go to see what modules I'd need and work out how much from that.

I guess it works well to easily set up multiple similar devices as mentioned?

You can add a device on the gateway as shown here: https://inductiveuniversity.com/vid...s-device?r=/course/opc-ua-devices-in-ignition

Then, you can create a template and UDT which can then be added (instances of) within the runtime client.

I'm not sure if it is possible to dynamically add a device to the gateway from the client alone. You could ask on the IA forums.

I sent you a PM on the pricing.