Which software for S7-300

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. Been a very long time since I have had to work on a Siemens PLC and I can't remember whether I can use my TIA portal or my STEP7 for an S7-300. It only has a serial port. My other question is, when I upload the program, will it be like the old SLC and PLC5's where my upload won't have any descriptions or anything, since I don't have the original program? It has a CPU312. Thanks much.

Hello all. Been a very long time since I have had to work on a Siemens PLC and I can't remember whether I can use my TIA portal or my STEP7 for an S7-300. It only has a serial port. My other question is, when I upload the program, will it be like the old SLC and PLC5's where my upload won't have any descriptions or anything, since I don't have the original program? It has a CPU312. Thanks much.

the old simatic manager with step 7 v5.x will work for it. The new TIA with Step 7 v1X might or might not, depending how old the CPU is.

yes, it will be like those where you don't get any tagnames/comments. If I recall, The tags in blocks will just become something like tag1, tag2, tag3, etc, and global tags (I/Q/M) will just be the address with no tag name.

I was working on an upgrade of a system with a S7-300 and a WonderWare HMI along with a Siemen's staff programmer.

He said that the project, that was in Stap7, could easily be imported and upgraded to TIA Portal but to NOT do it because then the WonderWare version in use would not be able to communicate with it

Another question, please. When I connect to upload the existing program from this S7-300, will it bring the CPU offline or am I able to upload without interfering with the running CPU? Thanks

Another question, please. When I connect to upload the existing program from this S7-300, will it bring the CPU offline or am I able to upload without interfering with the running CPU? Thanks

Going online with the PLC (including uploading) can slow down the PLC a little, so it isn't 100% interference free, but it doesn't automatically stop the PLC. Hypothetically, it could maybe stop it if the PLC is already running near it's configured maximum cycle time, but that doesn't seem too likely.

I am able to see the CPU in the TIA v.18 however, the "online" stays greyed out. It doesn't allow me to upload from the PLC. Siemens tech support tech said I have the wrong software for it and that's why I can't go online with it. Screenshot 2023-12-20 070529.png

Post the screenshot of the actual message that you get when trying to go online.

I think that maybe you can go online via the 'online access' .. 'accessible nodes', and then 'online and diagnostics'. It can possibly inform you the version of the code that is in the PLC.

If the PLC program is created with STEP7 V5 (aka 'STEP7 classic') than it cannot be opened with TIA.

Post the screenshot of the actual message that you get when trying to go online.

I think that maybe you can go online via the 'online access' .. 'accessible nodes', and then 'online and diagnostics'. It can possibly inform you the version of the code that is in the PLC.

If the PLC program is created with STEP7 V5 (aka 'STEP7 classic') than it cannot be opened with TIA.

I don't get an error code, it just doesn't give me an option to go online.