Which version of Simatic S7 Step 7?

Wino

I've been tasked with building some simulators for some legacy S7-3152DP systems. They are all programmed in STL, so I've determined that the "safety" software that our vendor recommended won't cut it (FBD and LAD only).

Basically, I need only to access the shell to create VAT's and very little actual network access; our techs aren't allowed to make changes, only to view.

My problem is that I use the full-blown professional version of Simatic S7 Step 7. Will the Basic version, or cheaper version, allow these standard functions:

• Upload/download
  • Editing symbols
  • Creating VAT's
  • Viewing VAT's online
  • Viewing DB's
  • Archiving/Retrieving
  • Cross referencing and filtering
  • Viewing STL networks (rarely needed, but necessary functionality)
TIA for any help you can give me.

I am interested to see other answers
As far as I know the older 'Basic' will program most of those functions
but
you mentioned safety
that was a different 'Add On' package

GiT, your link didn't answer the question, as it got into more of the circular references that I've been plagued with, but it did provide a link that gave a link that got me to a link which DID state the differences:

SIMATIC STEP 7 Basic V12 − Common engineering for
SIMATIC S7-1200

Note that it is NOT for the S7-300. It appears that I'll be forced to buy the professional package after all.

Thanks for the feedback. It got me to the answer. Note that further down the page of the linked quote, the brochure stated all the other processors that Professional will do. I had already determined that "Lite" and "Saftey" (sic) would not do it due to lack of STL. Basic does do STL, but not S7-300, only S7 1200 and some of the distributed I/O stuff like the ET200S.

Buy Step 7 Professional, plus the Safety Add on.
There is no upgrade path for Step 7 Basis, so in my opinion it is a waste of money.
You should also get the latest version of TIA Portal (V13) as part of the package.
The safety code can only be in ladder or FBD, STL is not used for the safety blocks.

Wino,

Some of your confusion may come from the fact that Siemens has two different versions of the Step 7 programming package right now. The older version is the "classic" Step 7, using SIMATIC Manager. The most recent version of that is v5.5. The newer software is Step 7 v13, and it is part of the TIA Portal. Both packages are actively developed current software, but the SIMATIC Manager version will be going away eventually.

Step 7 v5.5 (with SIMATIC Manager) is the version that has existed for a long time. If you have been using Step 7 for years, then this is what you would be familiar with. I'm not sure if Step 7 Lite exists any more. Step 7 Basis includes the 300, 400, et200s, c7, and any other S7 PLC, except the newest lines. It includes LAD, FBD, and STL. PLCSim, a PLC code simulator, SCL and S7 Graph are all options that are included if you buy Step 7 Professional. Distributed Safety is an option that is used for programming fail safe PLC's. The only fail safe programming languages are F-LAD and F-FBD. HOWEVER, you only need this if you plan to use the safety features of a fail safe processor, which would mean a 315F, instead of a 315.

Step 7 v13 is part of the TIA Portal, and is part of an effort to make an easier to use and more efficient programming environment. I assume they mean efficiency as related to engineering time, because it needs a much faster computer. The TIA Portal only includes hardware that was actively sold in 2007 or newer, so it may not include some of your hardware of the legacy systems are older than that. Step 7 Basic provides full functionality for the S71200 PLC, which does not support the STL language. Step 7 Professional supports almost all recent Siemens PLC's: 1200, 1500, 300, 400, WinAC. It includes options for all languages that the PLC supports, with the main exception being that Safety is still an optional addon.

Any software mentioned above would support all of the functionality you mentioned, with the exception that there is no STL for the 1200. Siemens also offers trial versions, either as a nominal fee to ship you the DVD or often as a free download. These versions work for a 2-3 weeks, but then will require a proper license to continue. This can allow you to test to make sure you the software does what you want.

My guess is that you want Step 7 v5.5 Basis. Basis just means "base" package, with no options included.

I've been tasked with building some simulators for some legacy S7-3152DP systems. They are all programmed in STL, so I've determined that the "safety" software that our vendor recommended won't cut it (FBD and LAD only).
Is it a real safety PLC or a regular PLC ?
A safety PLC could be an S7 315F-2DP (current MFLB is 6ES7315-6FF04-0AB0).
If it is merely a regular S7 315-2DP (current MFLB is 6ES7315-2AH14-0AB0), then regular STEP7 v5.5 or even STEP7 LITE can be enough to do all the things you have listed.

Not sure if STEP7 LITE is still available. If it is, you must be aware that it does not share projects easily with the full STEP7 v5.5. Also, I doubt that it works with Windows 7, and certainly not with 64-bit.

You write that you use STEP7 Professional. Is that STEP7 v5.5 Pro, or TIA v13 Pro ?

My guess is that you want Step 7 v5.5 Basis. Basis just means "base" package, with no options included.

I didn't even see that on the software list on Siemen's site. I found only "Basic," "Lite," and "Professional." There was no "Basis." Do you have a part number or a link?

I am supporting legacy equipment that the manufacturer no longer really supports, so my customers need the S7-300 and not any of the newer S7-1200's. The programs are written about 95% in STL, so I must have a package that supports STL. There is just no getting around the legacy equipment's requirements. Customers don't want to throw away $1.2 million worth of equipment because the PLC software is old. Call them crazy if you must...

I didn't even see that on the software list on Siemen's site. I found only "Basic," "Lite," and "Professional." There was no "Basis." Do you have a part number or a link?

I'm sorry, Siemens must have stopped using the "Basis" term. It's just plain "Step 7" with no ending now. The part number (MLFB in the Siemens world, its some crazy german acronym) would be 6ES7810-4CC10-0YA5. Your local Siemens distributor should be able to help you out with the details, and making sure that this is the right version for your needs.

Its still used
at least in some places

JRW,

What you show in your photo is Step 7 Basic, which is a different part of the newer TIA Portal package (V10/11/12/13). Siemens must have stopped using the "Basis" term to avoid exactly the confusion I just created.

I went to the various links cited and opened the attachments people uploaded above. I see only basic for S7-1200, but I need it for the older S7-300 series, which are, as I said, S7-315-2DP. "Saftey" (sic) didn't even exist when these were made, and the TIA program was still an idea in some marketer's mind while these systems were in their heyday.

I have downloaded S7 Lite w/SP4. Once installed, I'll see if it will work. Upon looking at the brochure, it appears different, but appearances shouldn't matter, as long as I can view and monitor variables and do the necessary. The same principles should apply for the networked systems, so if the guys learn the concepts for this software package, they can use the Step 7 Professional back at their rig to do the larger systems.

Thanks for all the answers. Siemens' site hasn't gotten any easier to use in the last ten years.