Win XP Service Pak 2, To install or not to install?

elevmike

I've heard some horror stories about SP2 and just trying to weed out the BS. Has anyone had any trouble with their PC after installing it???

Thanks, Mike.

I am running SP2 on a new machine as my old pc died and have last month installed

Logix500
Logix5000
RSView32
Panelbuilder 32
Panelbuilder1400e
RS Linx OEM
RS Networkx (Devicenet only at present)

All of these are the latest (within a couple of months) versions and i have expierenced no problems yet

Mike,

I also have purchased on March 17 a new Dell Pentium 5 with Windows XP Professional and Service Pack 2. I did have problems in loading the activation codes for RSView32 and RSLinx Gateway version. It turned out to be the Windows Firewall that comes standard with the XP Pro. I had to disable it temporarily to be able to load the codes. My versions are not the latest ones however, so it may be that Rockwell has addressed that problem in the later editions.

Lance

The only problem I've had was with my WiFi card. Had to switch brands 'cause my "Extreme Air G-plus" was loosing signal all the time.

Now with a D-Link cheaper model iut works fine.

All my PLC related warez works OK.

Siemens
Modicon
Mitsubishi
Omron
AD
AB
Citect
Nematron

I did upgrade few computers without any problems until recently.

Old Inspiron 5000 laptop with XP Sp1 went to SP2 and got all kinds of problems from random crashes to detecting some phantom hardware.
I found technote on the Dell's website with very similar symptoms.
Looks like it is not compatible with SP2 or so.
None of solutions worked so I had to restore Ghost image of the SP1 installation.
Did not try clean setup - it may work.
Just keep this in mind.

Contr_Conn said:
None of solutions worked so I had to restore Ghost image of the SP1 installation.

Smart fella, (having a mirror image) I'll take a page from your book before doing this..

Thanks for the replys..