WinCC Profibus communication problem

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello to all,
I have a strange problem with establishing the communication between WinCC HMI station and the rest of Profibus network.
We have replaced old outdated HMI WinCC machine with newer one.
The project is migrated from winCC 6.0 to v 7.0 successfully.
New HMI machine came with CP5613A3 card (drivers already installed, Simatic NET installed and in win7 device manager PCI CP card is listed).

We have made exact same communication settings as they were on old HMI station with older CP5613 (under Set PC/PG Interface).

When testing Network diagnostics, all tests are sucessfull and all profibus nodes are listed. Therefore I conclude that Profibus card is correctly installed. However when WinCC Runtime is started there is no connection to the CP on the PLC side.
I have made a completely new WinCC project with only one Tag to test the connection and it doesn't work. I think now that the problem is within the WinCC itself, but I'm not sure.
Can you please look at the attached pictures and give me some advice?

Is it possible the there is some kind of compatibility issue between WinCC 7.0 (SP2) and CP5613A3?

Within the CP 5613A3 delivery package is also delivered STEP 7, but I didn't install this, because it wasn't installed on old HMI machine.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Hello sigmadelta,
like I said, I have made exact settings as they were on old machine. I'll try that but Profibus cable is connected on the PLC rack on CP 342-5. The cable length is about 200 m, so I guess the speed is because of the length.

I'm thinking that perhaps there is a compatibility issue here, since Wincc 7.0 is rather old. I didn't want to buy new Wincc since we have the WinCC 7.0 licence.
Attached is the old setting.

Old setting.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks,

I have WinCC 7.0 SP2 and SIMATIC NET V14 SP1.
Simatic NET installation CD was delivered together with CP 5613 card.
Therefore it is most likely that WinCC communication doesn't work because of incompatibility of WinCC version and Simatic NET.

Since diagnostic test in PC/PG interface shows all nodes on the network, the problem is only on WinCC side.

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it.
Can you please provide me a source where you checked the compatibility?

@sigmadelta, I wonder why you suggesting STEP 7 V5.5 + SP2 when there is possible issue with WinCC?
The Profibus communication worked when I tested it in SET PC/PG Interface ->Diagnostic.
How STEP 7 v5.5 would help WinCC to recognize Profibus card?

Thank you!

PS: I believe WinCC V7.0 + SP3 may resolve the compatibility issue.

Thank you sigmadelta, I'll try to upgrade to WinCC SP3. But I still don't understand how SETP 7 would help me, because as I said I have installed SIMATIC NET v14 that was delivered together with the CP card. Also in the Device manager in Windows 7 CP card was listed properly. So I doubt this behavior was due to bad driver.

But I still don't understand how SETP 7 would help me, because as I said I have installed SIMATIC NET v14

It's not about the driver per se, it's about the software compatibility. In their compatibility statement, WinCC V7.0 SP3 is only compatible with SIMATIC NET V13 + SP2 or STEP 7 V5.5 + SP2. SIMATIC NET V14 is not listed as compatible.

Yesterday I have learned that WinCC 7.0 SP3 is completely new license and not just an upgrade to SP2 version. I was also informed that there is a possibility that 7.0 SP3 cannot be delivered anymore since phase out is started. This must be checked with the local Siemens support.
link

Until this is resolved the old machine will be in function.
Thank you sigmadelta for your help.