Windows 11 anyone?

Duranthas

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just curious if anyone has migrated to Windows 11 and how well it is working with programming software. My laptop qualifies for the upgrade, but I am definitely waiting. Since Rockwell doesn't officially support it yet, and I honestly don't like the new GUI, I am not rushing into this one. I have a VM with it to just see what the hype is all about, but the taskbar just isn't growing on me at all.

Quite funny - supports lots of Celerons and Pentiums - I have a i7-7700 - 4 years old - not supported. Oh well.

I have 4 Win10 desktops and 1 Win10 laptop.

One of the desktops is a high line Xidax gaming PC about 1-1/2 years old (I don't game, bought it for 5 monitors with CAD, RSL/Studio, Excel, Visual Studio or FactoryTalk ME and other programs needed open at the same time for a project)

Not one of the computers I have meet the requirement for Win11, not even the basically new gaming PC.

I have 4 Win10 desktops and 1 Win10 laptop.

Not one of the computers I have meet the requirement for Win11, not even the basically new gaming PC.

PC makers must be very happy. A lot of people will need to buy new PCs if Windows 11 is successful, even if the PCs are reasonably good PCs, like the ones we have, almost none of which seems to be suitable for Windows 11.

I have a laptop that isn't supported because of the settings in my bios.

Enable UEFI and enable secure boot is what I have to change.

I remember reading that 10 was going to be the 'last' Windows and it would only be upgrades from then on... it seams like they like screwing up a good thing

Windows 95 Good for back then
Windows NT I really never used much
Windows 98 Good
Windows ME – Terrible
Windows 2000 Terrible
Windows XP Good
Windows Vista HORIFIC
Windows 7 Good
Windows 8 Terrible
Windows 10 Good
Windows 11 I think terrible is up next....

I remember reading that 10 was going to be the 'last' Windows and it would only be upgrades from then on... it seams like they like screwing up a good thing

But don't forget their "thing" is selling new PC's. New programs are designed requiring updated systems, then they force the new software but you have to buy a new PC.

And not just computers. The newest Android & IOS OS's wont work on phones a few years old, video games do the same, and remember everyone had to buy a new car when leaded gasoline was no longer available.

Windows 95 Good for back then
Windows NT I really never used much
Windows 98 Good
Windows ME – Terrible
Windows 2000 Terrible
Windows XP Good
Windows Vista HORIFIC
Windows 7 Good
Windows 8 Terrible
Windows 10 Good
Windows 11 I think terrible is up next....

Yes... I have found it to be about every other version is good.
You also forgot "Windows Bob" (released after Win 95).... what a flop...

Looks like this strict hardware requirement Microsoft is requiring for Win 11 compatibility (TPM 2.0 and secure boot) is going to render a lot of older PCs obsolete. Suspiciously similar to Apple Iphone version updates.

My colleague did some initial testing using an M1 Mac running Windows 11 ARM on Parallels. He was able to successfully install several versions of Logix Designer, RSLogix 5000, RSLogix 500 and RSLogix 5, and get them all online with a PLC. He was also able to install and launch FTView 11. Following that test, we're about to take the plunge and start replacing some of our ageing MacBook Pro's with the new M1 Macbook Pro's. We'll be keeping a few of the older ones on hand as a backup for the foreseeable future, but initial results are promising!

Same here, never heard of "Bob" until now. :ROFLMAO:

Man I had to look that one up... I thought you were joking

For the young PLC programmers -----> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

It was not around very long at all, and was spoken of as an Apple type ripoff.:ROFLMAO:
It was actually released just before Win 95.
It was also still based on a modem for "Internet" connection....oh the days of 2400 to 9600 baud (and you though you were fast at 9600 baud).

Note:...lol
"Released right as the Internet was beginning to become popular, Bob offered an email client with which a user could subscribe to MCI Mail, a dial-up email account. The price was $5.00 per month to send up to 15 emails per month. Each email was limited to 5000 characters, and each additional email after the limit was reached was an additional 45 cents. A toll-free phone number had to be called to set up the account."

Also....just so you are "in the know"...a little trivia about BOB.
"Some of the characters in Microsoft Bob reappeared in later Microsoft products. Clippy the paperclip became the default Office Assistant in Microsoft Office, and Rover, the software's dog mascot, became a "search companion" for Windows XP's File Search function."

Last edited: