Windows 11 anyone?

This topic "windows 11" came up today at Delta. The questions is when should we support Windows 11. As it turns out our developers already have WIN11 running on a VM. I don't know if it runs our software, RMCTools, completely.

From an IT standpoint we are going to resist the change and only be dragged into using WIN11 kicking and screaming. As it turns out, new PC computers are being sold with Win10 with the option to upgrade to Win11.

I personally beiieve that ARM is the future due to low power with comparable speed.
Arm chips are relatively cheap. My Raspberry PI cost $150+tax and it is capable of doing what most people want to do.

This topic "windows 11" came up today at Delta. The questions is when should we support Windows 11. As it turns out our developers already have WIN11 running on a VM. I don't know if it runs our software, RMCTools, completely.

From an IT standpoint we are going to resist the change and only be dragged into using WIN11 kicking and screaming. As it turns out, new PC computers are being sold with Win10 with the option to upgrade to Win11.

I personally beiieve that ARM is the future due to low power with comparable speed.
Arm chips are relatively cheap. My Raspberry PI cost $150+tax and it is capable of doing what most people want to do.

Yeah. I can definitely see (going forward) that instead of sending someone a software disk for their system programming, they just mail out an RPI or other similar single board computer with everything preset just the way it needs to be.

Off topic

Yeah. I can definitely see (going forward) that instead of sending someone a software disk for their system programming, they just mail out an RPI or other similar single board computer with everything preset just the way it needs to be.
The Raspberry PI came with a 32 bit version of Debian with the Raspberry PI desktop. I didn't like the desktop so I installed a 64 bit version of Ubuntu. I really prefer Linux Mint Cinnamon but that isn't available for ARM processors.
The ubuntu interface is good enough and comes with the latest version of Python which is important to me. The ubuntu Firefox synchronizes with the other Firefoxes I have. The Chromium on the Raspberry PI desktop would not synchronize with Google Chrome. The mail reader on Raspberry Pi Desktop was awful compared to Thunderbird which is easy to configure.
My point is that some "assembly" is required to get what you want.
There aren't many versions of ARM linux available to chose from.

I forgot to mention that if you want to play with Windows 11 in a VM, in VMware it HAS to be with the Pro version. The free/non-commercial version cannot create the trusted platform module necessary for Windows 11 to install and work.
I recently read an article about ways to make the Win11 taskbar look like the more familiar Win10 one. With that capability, when it is officially supported I might take the leap, but the current look just irritates me immensely.

The Raspberry PI came with a 32 bit version of Debian with the Raspberry PI desktop. I didn't like the desktop so I installed a 64 bit version of Ubuntu. I really prefer Linux Mint Cinnamon but that isn't available for ARM processors.
The ubuntu interface is good enough and comes with the latest version of Python which is important to me. The ubuntu Firefox synchronizes with the other Firefoxes I have. The Chromium on the Raspberry PI desktop would not synchronize with Google Chrome. The mail reader on Raspberry Pi Desktop was awful compared to Thunderbird which is easy to configure.
There aren't many versions of ARM linux available to chose from.

Yeah, it's not quite there yet. The higher ram available for the rpi4 and compute modules that came out this year (or last year) makes it useful for web browsing and light office work, where previous versions were kinda limited when using the default debian installations.

Yes, but with that form factor "computer", once you (generic you) have done that "some assembly required" steps, duplicating it is as simple as copying everyone onto a micro sd card and then mailing it out.

Yes... I have found it to be about every other version is good.
You also forgot "Windows Bob" (released after Win 95).... what a flop...

i'm another that did not hear about "Bob" i am showing my age as i remember Win 3.1 and even DOS versions running 6200 series Allen Bradley software (pre-rockwell) where you had to use interchange to communicate online which was a black art to get running by loading memory to specific areas in some dos config command on bootup i forget.

i'm another that did not hear about "Bob" i am showing my age as i remember Win 3.1 and even DOS versions running 6200 series Allen Bradley software (pre-rockwell) where you had to use interchange to communicate online which was a black art to get running by loading memory to specific areas in some dos config command on bootup i forget.

Oh yes...the days of DOS. Today it is hard to understand how we got by then....but most programs fit on a 5 1/4" true "floppy" drive or a 3.5" drive holding 1.44mb. Hard drives, when they came out were at a whopping 10mb. You were in heaven if you had a "386" with a 20mb hard drive.
Remember DOS "memory managers"? Qemm (by Quarterdeck Office Systems) was pretty powerful. You could configure your memory however you wanted and allocate it for programs.
Quarterdeck also had "DESQview", which was windows before Windows...

Last edited:
Oh yes...the days of DOS. Today it is hard to understand how we got by..
Remember DOS "memory managers"? Qemm (by Quarterdeck Office Systems) was pretty powerful. You could configure your memory however you wanted and allocate it for programs.
Quarterdeck also had "DESQview", which was windows before Windows...

Wow, it's been forever but I remember Qemm. Also remember when you would debate if you should format your drive MFM or RLL....

I was working for A-B and I remember one time hanging up the phone after an hour of having to troubleshoot a customer's autoexec and config.sys over the phone. I don't recall if it was for Interchange or a 1784-KT card, or maybe even a PCMK. I just remember being incredibly frustrated. It was such a colossal waste of time. My boss (a great lady) saw how upset I was and told me to go cool off. The only time that ever happened.

OG