Windows 2000 question. How to transfer serial from old PC to new ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi.

I am trying to figure out how to transfer the Windows 2000 license number to an already configured PC with Windows 2000.

The background is this:
I have taken over the task of supporting a HMI solution made by someone else. This HMI is a homegrown project that relies on several activex components. This is the problem, the activex components are incompatible with later versions of Windows. To update the HMI would be prohibitively expensive. Noone is prepared to pay what it costs.
My solution that works well is to setup a VMware client with the HMI software already installed. Tested and works OK. In this way we can support current and future versions of Windows at a reasonable cost.

All that remains is to license the Windows for each of the VMs that we send to the customers.
I dont want to have to start by installing Windows 2000 from scratch. I want to just copy a master VM image, and then update the license number by using the license from the old IPCs that is now being replaced.
Originally a full unrestricted Windows 2000 Pro was delivered together with the IPC. So it is completely legitimate.

But how ?

If you can still boot up the old ones (or at least boot off the HDD), try the freeware keyfinder from Magic Jelly Bean.
That should work.

Once you do that, you can search the original registry for that value, so you know where to stuff it on the new boxes.

Thank you both.

Is it required that you run the keyfinder on the old PC ?
Or can I just use the product key and license number from the sticker ?
When we are contacted to find a solution, the old PC may already be dead.
Will do some test myself, but maybe you know already.

That was removed a while back jesper several versions back. They have a paid version and i think it is still in the paid version which may be why they crippled the free version.

When it first came out they did not have a free version.

You can SYSPREP the master image, it will allow you to reenter the product information on the next power on. You'll want to test this though, Because it regenerates the SID and a bunch of security settings. Some software really doesn't enjoy this.

It says in the features for the full versions that there is a backup function. But it doesnt say specifically that you can set the keys manually.
I need to set the keys manually, when the key is read off the sticker on the old PC.
I am downloading the demo and will give it a try.

Well, you have a VM.

Dupe the master, sysprep the dupe, and try it.
SYSPREP or NewSID are highly recommended if you are cloning VMs anyhow.

Jesper

I normally keep all versions of a program in a archive on my home server. I may have this one but it may take some digging.

PM me with your email and if i find it i will send it to you.