Windows 7 ??? for Siemens programming software

AlecTek

Hi Guys,

I'm going to buy a new laptop for programming Siemens PLC. I might install all software of Siemens, old and new. Should I use Home Premium, or Professional or Ultimate version of Windows 7? The laptop has 6G memory so it has to go to 64bits.

Thanks for any helps.

Thanks a lot! Please explain a little more: What is the difference between Win 7 XP mode and Virtual Machine? Is the XP mode for Win7 64bit Professional in 64bit mode which doesn't work with Step 7?

And for Win7 64bit Professional, which would be better, VMware or XP mode?

Maybe in one question, Should I have windows 7 64bit professional + VMware on my 6G I5 laptop?

XP mode or virtual PC is a virtual machine.
If you already have the notebook, download the Virtual PC from Microsoft and you'll be good to go.
You will have to communicate to the S7 CPU via Ethernet or the USB adapter.

Please don't use the MS Virtual machine, it won't support all Siemens drivers.
Install VMware Player and it will work all fine! and it is also freeware.....

Jack

Win7-64 supports win32 programs, however i dont know the results with step7.
Just a FYI :)

Well I've tried step-7 with Win7-64 and with MS Virtual Machine, and both won't work.
In Win7-64 it isn't possible to install Step-7, and in MS Virtual Machine there are some drivers not reqonized.

I've now VM ware Player under Win7-64 with WindowsXP, and this works very good, and XP is really fast now.

Jack

Win7-64 supports win32 programs, however i dont know the results with step7.
Just a FYI :)

Whether a certain platform supports programs written for another platform is irrelevant when said software has a built-in check to find out if the platform it's being installed on, is one that is supported.

That being said, Siemens doesn't support 64-bit in any shape or flavor.

I tried to start Step7 V10.5 on VM under Windows7 Ultimate. It did not work.
I have Windows Vista od D: to run Step7 V10.5 (TIA Portal), and on Windows7 C: I have all the rest, working fine (LogoSoft, Step7 MicroWin, Step7 V5.5, WinCC Flex 2008 etc..)

Guys, what drivers don't work?
I run step 7 v5.4/5 10.5 and Flex 2008, plus starter in Microsoft virtual machine with no problems.
Communication is Ethernet and DP/MPI via usb adapter.

MS's XP mode for win7 requires a certain processor (I have an i7) and motherboard/Bios that will work with it (virtualization enabled in BIOS). It also requires WIN7 professional.
I spent several days going through laptops that have these features because I need XP mode for some of the Rockwell stuff and also good video card for slaughtering terrorists, dragons, ninjas and time permitting fix stuff at work.
I found out that while connected to the Micrologix 1100 through e-net the connection is incredibly unstable. I installed VMware and everything works fine.

s-7 300 simatic simulator

please help me somebody.....
s7 simatic simulator is not being installed in my laptop window 7 professional 32-bit.
whenever i try to install shows the error " need window xp 2000 sp 1 or higher" or "first install sp1 to proceed".
please somebody help me....