Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 Official General Availability Date

Operaghost

October 22 2009 is the official date for both o/s releases.

I am using Win 7 as the primary o/s on my home PC and using a vm on my laptop with great success so far.

OG

I like Win7 too. Its my main os in home. I did read froms somwhere that some of final Win7 versions will have some form of virtual XP (somekind of seamless system based on virtual pc) on it. So you will very easily get to use your sw that does not work straight on Win7.

yea i like Win7 as well, only issue i know of is a driver issue with the some ati gfx cards. im running the RC on my main computer at home and on my laptop with only minor issues, but RSLogix 5 wont install nither will PanelBuilder32 but can use the virtual xp for that when its finished

I did mean for general SW that does not install.

But yes on settings tab, there is lot of choises to make, one is to connect to serial port. I have not tried it tough..

ill see what i can do with virtual box later the,

also on "XP OS image" thanks man ill give that a try when i get home

If you are using Windows 7, and Microsofts Virtual PC 2007, you can download a complete (but beta version) of the XP OS image for VPC7 running on Windows 7 here:
Just be careful. Windows Virtual PC is the new version. Virtual PC 2007 is the old version.

I have installed it with the XP O/S but haven't actually installed any software into it yet.

OG

If you are using Windows 7, and Microsofts Virtual PC 2007, you can download a complete (but beta version) of the XP OS image for VPC7 running on Windows 7 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

This is a bit different (but better, in my opinion) than a standard VM. It launches programs in 'XP mode' seamlessly, as if it were any other program running in Windows. If anyone could test this out with RSLogix5000 or RSView ME/SE and tell me how it works, that would be great! I'm traveling and would love to try it out myself, but I won't be able to for a month or more. Maybe I can finally stop hauling two laptops on long trips!

This is a bit different (but better, in my opinion) than a standard VM. It launches programs in 'XP mode' seamlessly, as if it were any other program running in Windows. If anyone could test this out with RSLogix5000 or RSView ME/SE and tell me how it works, that would be great! I'm traveling and would love to try it out myself, but I won't be able to for a month or more. Maybe I can finally stop hauling two laptops on long trips!

RSLogix 5000 works fine in Windows Virtual PC, but FactoryTalk does not, because Windows Virtual PC uses terminal services to connect to the VM, and FactoryTalk needs its initial configuration done in a non TS way. I installed pretty much the whole RA suite, and then I came to this speed bump.

In general, I like the disk IO speed of Virtualbox and Windows Virtual PC, but for usability and ease of use, its hard to go against VMware workstation. All of my PLC software is in it own VM, split by vendor.

However, if someone can get FactoryTalk to work in Windows Virtual PC, please let us know. The main benefit to Windows Virtual PC is you do not need to buy another license, where as with VMware, and Virtualbox, you will.

Aye, I've found Win 7 and the Windows 2007 VM + XP for 2007 VM to be almost perfect, BUT... In your case...

What laptop? 'Cause, as cheap as even 2.5" HDD's are now, I've found it much quicker to just pop the HDD from the bottom of my Dell, and pop in another, configured as I like for whatever I need.

I bring two because I like having my personal laptop with me on long trips. I have a weak spot for gaming, and my work laptop (Dell Latitude D820) doesn't cut it. I tried dual-booting XP and Vista on my personal laptop so I could only bring one, but my company was not too keen on giving me licenses for all the programming software to use on my personal laptop.

However, if someone can get FactoryTalk to work in Windows Virtual PC, please let us know. The main benefit to Windows Virtual PC is you do not need to buy another license, where as with VMware, and Virtualbox, you will.

I haven't had to play with getting FactoryTalk to work on virtual machines, but if I get around to it I'll explore some. And I'm assuming you mean purely for FTView type applications ?

The underlying (internal) comms between Win7/WVM2007+XPSeamless have only been a stumbling block in some very esoteric things I've done programmatically, but the two places I've run across them have so far been pretty much insurmountable without developing a native Win7 interface (DCOM/Near driver level). It seems I come up against a connection limit, which is odd.

Strangely, I can run IIS perfectly well, in a VPC2007/XPSeamless box, without troubles... I'll have to look some more into FactoryTalk (when I get time, am bored, and have the inclination... OR, I'm getting paid for it :) )