Windows, but not 'embedded'. EWF/UWF possible, or something similar ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi, on some PCs that we use at customer locations and that are running non-critical programs, and are running with 'normal' Windows i.e. not Win 7 Embedded or Win 10 IoT, we are experiencing some problems with configurations being lost or 'changed' for no reason.
We think it has to do with these PCs being shutdown in the wrong way.
Or maybe even a Windows update messing things up.
It is not a big issue, since the programs are non-essential. But it is too much work to restore the PCs too often.

I think that the EWF/UWF functionality could solve this problem. But since these PCs have regular Windows, EWF/UWF is not available.
Changing the Windows on these PCs is not an option, too costly and too much hassle.
An UPS could also help shutting down in an orderly way, but that is also out of the question for the same reasons.

Thus the question, is it somehow possible to protect the system partition in another way ?
Maybe there are 3rd party products that work in a similar way to EWF/UWF ?
Or some other ideas ?

There are plenty of Win 7 boxes out there, and with a ESU support contract from MS you will still get critical updates to Win 7.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/tr...s-faq/windows-7-extended-security-updates-faq

Also from MS website about Win 7 Embedded end of life:
What about Windows 7 Embedded?
Windows for embedded devices such as ATMs or gas pumps have lifecycle dates that sometimes differ from versions of Windows that are used on PC devices.

For this thread, it is more relevant with future Win 10 PCs, so it is not that critical if I dont get EWF on these old PCs.

I have used a couple of programs called "Reboot Restore Rx" and "Deep Freeze" to protect standard windows running on IPC's for nearly 10 years now. Never had a problem with either of them. Super easy to setup, and simply makes the PC boot to the same image every time. Does not matter how the PC is shut down or frankly if somebody messes with it. Of the two I prefer “Reboot Restore” (used to be called “Drive Vaccine” when I first started using it) but on a couple of Advantech PC’s It wouldn’t install hence the use of "Deep Freeze".