winview x2

sparx

looking for information on how you can run two apps or runtime on a single pc. I am using two pc's now, but would like to run on one. everytime I go to start the second runtime it reverts to origional program. two runtime packages, restored with different projects, each project runs by itself, but when I try to start second rt, defaults to origional or started project. two ktx cards installed and configured ok. ??? any ideas?! thnaks in advance. sparkyc:

First, I have to ask: Are you seriously running WinView ? Which operating system are you running it on ?

Are you trying to run two simultaneous runtimes, or just start one OR the other based on a shortcut or initialization file ?

you bet Ken. I have been running this for years now. but I collect data from each and it is harder and harder to move data and updates to the older pc's. I am trying to put the rtimes on a single pc where all data will be easier to collect.

yes I would like to run simultaneous RTimes on a single pc - multy screen.
1) is it possible?
2) what can you remember about the software and/or changes that I need to make on installation.
3) each RTime has different restored projects on it. each ahs its own activation. each will run by itself. the problems is only one will run at a time.
???
:(

I just don't think it can be done. There's only one database engine and runtime visualization program and it can't run two runtime applications at once.

WinView was before my time... and I've been with Rockwell for ten years.

Using virtualization like VMWare comes to mind to separate the operating systems, but then you run smack-dab into the WinView /WinLinx KTX drivers and the fact that no PC able to run VMWare is going to have ISA slots.

Are you running WinView on Windows 3.11 or on a Win95/98 platform ?

I am switchd over to the late 1990s. the pc will be of 500mhz or so.

I believe it has agp card and the such. I also believe I could get as fast as an p4 1000mhz machine.

vm machine is that a virtual machine? Can I change to core engines?
I have a copy of rsview and was thinking of doing the same with it. Is that possible in the future as I am running about 400 points and to change over to one package is much work intensive. the other reason was to use network as file transfer and restore function on the 98 os.
have anyone in mind or maybe an archive I maybe able to resource?

Last edited:
looking in another direction, can I run two applications of rsview on one pc? I would like to run the process on one screen, the post production on another screen, and helpful pop up menu's on the third screen. Is this possible with one pc? I know its possible but will rsview allow the multi screens???

I can run an extended project across my two/three monitors but they are still only one project - one big project(MMI). anyone doing this? maybe I need to look at a different meathod?

With appropriate client licenses, I run up to four RSView SE clients on one supervisory computer. I don't have multiple monitors for it, but if you let the client have a titlebar, there is no reason you couldn't drag it to another monitor. About the only trick in the applications is that I have designed them to properly resize to the resolution capabilities of the runtime system.

-- Edit --
I'm not sure if you can run two RSView32 applications at one time, because of the caveat Ken mentioned... that being that RSView32 uses a machine-local tag-server database. I don't know if that can service more than one View32 application.

RSViewSE handles it quite nicely.

-- Edit Edit --

What do you mean 'Helpful Popups' on another screen? As in yet another application?
I prefer to include 'Helpful Popups' as part of each and every application, as they generally pertain only to a certain machine or machine section.

sparx said:
looking in another direction, can I run two applications of rsview on one pc? I would like to run the process on one screen, the post production on another screen, and helpful pop up menu's on the third screen. Is this possible with one pc? I know its possible but will rsview allow the multi screens???

I can run an extended project across my two/three monitors but they are still only one project - one big project(MMI). anyone doing this? maybe I need to look at a different meathod?

Last edited:
thanks for the reply rdrast.

rsview se? I am unformilluar with that. does it pertain to the ce windows os? or is it a different rsview package.

with multiple ktx and only one linx package, all data transfers do go to a single ddb, isn't that true. and if dde is used to transfer data to and from apps and linx then why wouldn't it handle multiple views??? when I run a spc (process data collection) app, they all go to the central core looking for the variable,tag,ect. I thought windows was built on central core database transfers. but only differnt lienced runtime packages are all pointing to the same engine (common files)?

the reason I want to run multiple runtime projects is to make each individual project smaller. There are 4 plant areas that we are monitoring and controling through MMI. each particluar area has its own pc to opperate and control locally, but all projects are in the main control rm which would require then 4pc's running 4 monitors - hense 4 mouses (mices?) (what ever?). this is why at the present I only provide the shift guys with two areas or projects at this time as it is far to confusing to opperate. and the point count on each project is about 175, so therefore making the local mmi's run a complete package 700 points is excessive , but me trying to manage 5 completely different projects is very labour intensive, even if that was all I had to do. ;)

the pop ups i was refering to were like an reaction type display. all of our new opperators have little experiance with the computer let alone the plant that they are running. way to much remmember all at once. WHO SAID TRAINED EMPLOYESS WERN'T VALUABLE? so I want to give them a detailed check list with pictures of equipment soas they can reference to and refresh their brains @ 3am when s*#t hits the fan :)

I have had rsview for a while now but only one lience. I don't know if multiple rt's will work. but that is what I am looking for. four projects pilled on one main pc- one mouse - 3/4 monitors, and one big happy shift boss!!!

i don't know about rsview ce, but am interrested if it will do the job. we already have our rsview 300 liecence. is it compatible or usable ar maybe I can run runtime ce packages from it???

I'm kinda getting away from my inital post. I would like to find someone with info and expeience on icom winview first. this is what I have to work with right now. cheers