wireless network PLC

angi

Hi Guys

There are five SLC 5/04(1747-L541) on the floor, 2 of them got empty slots to use.
What I want to do is setup a wireless network which we could connect all of the 5 PLCs remotely.
What card I need to use?

Thanks

Hi Angi
I havent heard about anything that fits into the slc slots, but you could use a 1761-NET-ENI ,one for each SLC and then use standard wifi components.

There is only DH+ port available for me to use on the PLC, How to handle it?

Thanks

If you already have Data Highway + linking your PLC's,
Rather than buy 5 cards, just set up a Control Logixs Gateway on your existing DH+ network to ethernet and radio ethernet from that,
this option requires a 4 slot rack, a power supply, a DH+ RIO card, an ENBT or similar card all for less than the cost of 5, 1761 Net ENI's

If you already have Data Highway + linking your PLC's,
Rather than buy 5 cards, just set up a Control Logixs Gateway on your existing DH+ network to ethernet and radio ethernet from that,
this option requires a 4 slot rack, a power supply, a DH+ RIO card, an ENBT or similar card all for less than the cost of 5, 1761 Net ENI's

Thats how we do it. We are linking to SLC5/04s and PLC/5s.

The rack does not need a CLX processor and you don't need any software except RSLinx to set it up. Set up takes only a few minutes. Its probably the most common (and easiest) way to bridge a DH+ network to ethernet. You can configure two different DH+ networks and bridge to both from Ethernet. From there any wireless router will do. I use a Netgear WGR16.

Unfortunately this module is for ControlLogix and not the SLC.
Clarification: Its not supposed to go in the SLC chassis, its supposed to go in the 4 slot 1756 bridge chassis that Gil mentioned. If you choose to use the Prosoft MVI56-WA-EIP module I believe you can skip the 1756 ENBT since the MVI56-WA-EIP has bridging capability, you should only need this plus the 1756 DHRIO card, 4 slot chassis, and power supply - but its best to talk with a Prosoft tech to make sure.

BTW, anything that you put in a SLC chassis is not going to be able to access the controller program/memory over the chassis backplane, the SLC backplane will not support that kind of communication. Pass thru requires a jumper between the module and the processor's programming port. Not a big deal, you just need to be aware of the limitation.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Any body knows how much it will cost for 4 slot rack, a power supply, a DH+ RIO card, an ENBT or similar card ?

Thanks again