WonderWare Activefactory Trend (Samples & Tagging) Questions

Genglish

Hi,
A customer of mine has ActiveFactory Trend for viewing our historical data. Appears to be version 9.1.….. Sorry if these questions are very basic, but I am definitely a WW N00B.
I am hoping someone can help me with a few issues we have here.

1. Since the system was started up, the customer has decided to change the tag names for a few of their devices. The physical device has not changed, but the device identification needs to in order to conform with the rest of the facility. My question is to make sure that if I change this tag name, will the historical data remain intact with the new tag or will the data with the old tag remain there and new data be tied to the "new" tag?

2. The other issue we are having is when people are using the trend data to pull a particular value from the past, different people get different values using the statistics control. The one thing I have figured out is that they are getting these different values because they are choosing different time ranges. One person may look at the tag for the last 24 hours. The next might go to a five minute window where they are sure the event occurred. That is happening because the number of samples seems to change, and in turn we might miss critical points in the trend. So, all of that said, is there any way to force a trend to use the maximum number of samples regardless of what time base I choose?

Thanks to anyone and everyone who can help out!

Genglish,
a few questions...are you using InSQL or something similar to store the tags to be displayed in intouch? or where are all your process values logged to?
We use Active Factory also (unsure of version) and we use InSQL industrial database, if we want to rename a tag, if you rename it in InSQL then the data stays with the tag.

LH