Wonderware Message Banner

Hello All:
Here is the question. Say the PLC is sending a number from 0-100 in N30:2 to the wonderware HMI that correspond to 100 messages.
Is there a way around using
if N30:2==1 then msg="display message 1" statements in the windows script?
The if statements are ok for 10 msg or less, but getting to 100s of msg gets very messy doing it this way.
Thanks
George

Last edited:
While I don't know of a Message Handler app for WW (Fix has one, CTC has one, ...) here's a neat way of saving processing time and jumping to a specific point is a script.

FOR i = 1 TO 1 {a nice way to skip to end}

If lala == 2 then
yada yada yada;
EXIT FOR;
endif;

If lala == 3 then
yada yada yada;
EXIT FOR;
endif;

NEXT;

Maybe WW supports arrays? Thought I heard about it, but upon a quick search, nothing pops up.

You're going to enter the text msg in, on way or the other, so just cut & paste common IF/Then code & message into a Quick Function and be done with it. Too many times we use way more time trying to figure out something clever than to just brute force doing it.

There is....but using an integer value obviously limits you to only displaying one alarm....

1. Make some tags:
AlarmDisplay - Indirect message
AlarmNumber - I/O integer (from PLC)
Alarm0 - Memory message
Alarm1 - Memory message
Alarm100 - Memory message

2. Write the alarm text to be displayed in the tag comments for
Alarm0 to Alarm100

3. In the banner use a # linked to Value Display with the expression
AlarmDisplay.Comment

4. Window script while showing:
AlarmDisplay.Name = "Alarm"+StringFromIntg( AlarmNumber,10 );

krk: Yeah, I knew that, but making 100+ tags is a lot, uh, to make by hand. And then if the message list changes (as they always do) , holes open up and you end up adding more tags for new message, ... :)

Hi Dave,

true...100 tags by hand is pretty soul destroying...

....BUT with DBDump/Excel edit/DBLoad you can make the lot in a few minutes. Even better if you've got your alarm texts in a compatible electronic format and can paste them in as well.

Kevin H

On second thoughts....probably the neatest way to to do this would be to use the FileReadMessage function to read the alarm texts from a file using the number from the PLC as the FileOffset......