Wonderware to RSView32 conversion?

JHarris

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've seen references on discussion boards to a utility to convert screens from Wonderware to RSView32. Anyone done this? Experiences? I've yet to find the utility also. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

If you are referring to a conversion utility that Rockwell/AB provides, they don't make it available to the general public. What they do is perform the conversion for you, free of charge. It usually takes a couple of weeks - contact your local AB distributor and ask to speak to their PLC/HMI speicalist for the details.

I have experienced this conversion in the past.

Personally hated the experience.

The conversion basically just converted the graphics - no scripting or animations. That had to be done manually.

If you are converting a small application, then it may be useful, but any medium or large applications should be evaluated to determine if re-engineering the entire application would be of greater benefit.

Why would you want to convert from Wonderware to RSView?

Isn't that kind of like converting from steak to ground beef patties?

I like and use RSView. But I consider WW to be a superior product. Am I wrong there?

Alaric said:
Why would you want to convert from Wonderware to RSView?

Isn't that kind of like converting from steak to ground beef patties?

I like and use RSView. But I consider WW to be a superior product. Am I wrong there?

The client wants RSView. Supposedly the current Wonderware app crashes and has communication problems with the A-B PLCs. I was there briefly, so I know little else at this point.

Thanks.

Justin

A better value would be to analyze the WonderWare app to determine and fix why "crashes" are happening.

Could be as minor as OS version vs WW version. Could be as complex a network infrastructure and/or scripting issues.

From experience with the two products, WW has a much better I/O server than Rockwell. Go figure.

What are the details of their WW app? Start with the OS, WW version, controllers, etc.

Oakley said:
A better value would be to analyze the WonderWare app to determine and fix why "crashes" are happening.

Could be as minor as OS version vs WW version. Could be as complex a network infrastructure and/or scripting issues.

From experience with the two products, WW has a much better I/O server than Rockwell. Go figure.

What are the details of their WW app? Start with the OS, WW version, controllers, etc.

I agree (and that was my first thought). However, in this case, the company has already purchased RSView and moved towards the change. From what I've seen, it appears the network is causing their problems. Originally I was under the impression we would be doing the changeover - now I find out the changeover is already being done and they just want another (local) company for support/changes in the future.

Well the good thing is that you'll get called to fix their network problem when they figure out that downgrading to RSView didn't solve their problem. (y)