Wye Start, Delta Run Motor connection

Back to the Wye Delta again:
If I rearrange the circuit like below, ie. jumper 4, 5,6 together AND/OR 7,8,9 together, I seemed to create a WYE circuit. Will it work or fry up the motor?

Wye_Circuit.png

If I rearrange the circuit like below, ie. jumper 4, 5,6 together AND/OR 7,8,9 together, I seemed to create a WYE circuit. Will it work or fry up the motor?

Wye_Circuit.png
The short answer is, just don't do that. I seriously doubt that it will work at all unless the correct 3 wires are jumpered together and the power is applied to the correct 3 wires. The longer answer gets into phase angle issues and physical construction of the motor. You need to get a motor winding shop to re-configure the internal connections and have them set it up to a conventional six lead delta motor at the voltage you are using, to get it to work properly. I can't tell you exactly what needs to be done because I never worked in a motor winding shop. I have had to deal with the exact same issue many years ago on a European or maybe it was a Japanese built motor. I just sent the motor to a local winding shop to get it converted.

Edit:
According to this latest drawing, if your motor is indeed wired this way, it "might" work. If your original earlier drawing was what was on the motor, all bets are off and you probably will let out the blue smoke.

Last edited:
jrwb4gbm is correct. Joining T4,T5,T6 together and applying power to T7,T8,T9 "might" work, but motors with "extra" leads brought out are often wound for very specific applications. It is a MUST that you consult with a motor shop or the manufacture before connecting your motor in any other way except what is printed on the data tag.

From the schematics that you posted, as others have mentioned, I would recommend a soft starter. To save some money you could consider using an "inside the delta" configuration. This would allow you to use a smaller soft start unit. Here again, you would need to consult with the motor professionals including the soft start manufacture to be sure all of the details are covered.

I just recently replaced a Wye/Delta starter with an SMC-3. It takes less than half the space of the old starter and peak current to the motor is half of what it used to be. Plus, now the motor only sees "in rush" current once per start instead of twice.

Wye_Circuit.png

Wouldn't the correct information be available from the motor manufacturer's tech support group or distributor?

The picture in my 1st post contain factory info. As Jraef indicated, the motor is wound for Delta only, so my best option is to go with a soft motor starter.

The Wye circuit is just a curious question what if type. Because if I rearrange it , it seemed to have wye circuit as well

Star_Ckt.jpg

The picture in my 1st post contain factory info. As Jraef indicated, the motor is wound for Delta only, so my best option is to go with a soft motor starter.

The Wye circuit is just a curious question what if type. Because if I rearrange it , it seemed to have wye circuit as well

Star_Ckt.jpg
This applies only to the "What if" part of post #20.

After much consideration and thinking, I will attempt to answer your "What if" part of this. What I am going to say will apply to the "Low Voltage (2D)" motor jumpers configuration. Remove the 1-6, 2-4, and 3-5 motor jumpers. Now going back to the original post #1, motor wires 1,2, and 3 connect respectfully to U1,V1, and W1 in the starter. Wire in the starter U2 will connect to the jumper bar for 6-7. Wire in the starter V2 will connect to the jumper bar for 4-8. Wire in the starter W2 will connect to the jumper bar for 5-9. Now this will make it a six-lead Delta type and will work as a Wye Start and Delta Run.

I haven't thought out the "High Voltage (1D)" configuration at all but it would seem to require a different configured Starter, probably 2 Bridge (Star) contactors and 2 (Delta) contactors to keep all the leads isolated properly. Keep in mind that the "High Voltage (1D)" configuration is just a guess.

Needless to say, you have not yet stated the Lines Supply Voltage or the Dual voltages, (2D and 1D), shown on the motor nameplate.

To sum up, this entire reply is just a guess. I have no real knowledge if this will actually work.

Last edited: