XP SP3 and PIC/AIC driver

Okay, I searched for "serenum" this time instead of "serenum.sys". The OLDserenum.sys file is from when I renamed it in my earlier attempt. The other day, when I tried to manually revert the driver, I only found it in one location and it was still updated by WFP, but I didn't know about the file SERENUM.SY_

Perhaps if I replace that one too, it will make WPF happy?

I should probably try this manually before you spend the time to write a program to automate this.

serenum_sys_locations.jpg

Well I'm just modifying my app to make sure that a file exists before trying to manipulate it. That is programming 101 and should be there regardless.

Do you have a folder called "C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386"?

Every machine that I tested this on had that directory, but the native SP3 machines may not, so I'm looking at skipping the part where it modifies this location.

What was happening when I just replaced the file in system32/drivers is Windows would automatically replace my file with the one in ServicePackFiles\i386. So I backup/rename that one first, then I replace the one in system32\drivers.

I just assumed (we all know where that gets us) that the file would always be there. But apparently it is not.

The machine I have doesn't have that folder at all.

It appears to have a backup stowed away somewhere else that WPF uses to undo any changes. It might be the serenum.sy_ file that I found today. Tomorrow, time permitting, I may try replacing that file too. If I make any progress, I will be sure to post here and let you know...

Thanks,
Paul

Yeah, if you can figure out what file it is being replaced by, then I can take care of it. I would be surprised if it were the temp directory because that is garbage stuff that generally can be deleted. I'm guessing the i386 folder was done by your IT department so I doubt Windows is getting it from there. Strange.

I'll just have two routines in my program, if I find the file in one location, I'll use one routine and if I find it in the other location, I'll use another routine. Should be pretty easy.

Right now it will ignore the code that tinkers with ServicePackFiles\i386 if it doesn't find a file there and just tries to modify the file in system32\Drivers. But if the file in system32\drivers is being replaced automatically, then that won't work.

I wish I had a machine with a native SP3 version of XP. Then I could get it working. Thanks for looking into it for me.

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has figured out how to take care of the serenum file in a machine that came with SP3.

I took a look, and my machine has the serenum.sys file in 4 places:
c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
c:\I386\SP3.cab
c:\Apps\osmedia\I386\SP3.cab
c:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\sp3.cab

Ive tried to replace the one in the drivers folder, but it gets replaced by the SP3 one. I'm guessing it is coming from one of the .cab files. I tried to replace the .cab versions, but it won't replace. I did a bit of looking around, and modifying .cab files is not straight forward. I would prefer not to mess with them if possible.

Any suggestions?

(by the way, is there any other drivers that can be used to connect to a NET-AIC box?)

Thanks
Andrew

I have a new patch that works for me. It's 20MB, so I'm not sure how to get it to people. Do you have an email account that will accept 20MB emails? If so, PM me your address.

edit: The reason it is so big is because I made my own CAB with the new serenum.sys file in it and it's embedded in my .exe.

SP3 Com & USB down

Hello, found this patch Dustin put up and it works great.
I don't believe it is the patch, maybe something (yea what did I do)did prior to trying it, but; I can not connect to my GE9030 PLC's, Zoid OIT (using 9pin Com port) and C-More (using USB). Still can connect with PIC, so I removed it from the RS Linx setup, and removed the Patch. But I still cannont connect. I know the com port works, can still connect (before removed) with the PIC to SLC500 5/01 and the USB works with other devices. Thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction?

My guess is the PIC driver commandeered your serial port. What I would do is go into the device manager and uninstall the serial port and let windows reinstall the driver. I think when you remove the driver from Linx, it still has it's claws in it. Once you have removed it, restart your machine just in case.

As far as USB, I'm not sure. My patch only deals the file serenum.sys (and it's various locations), I don't think this has anything to do with USB. Besides, when it is removed, it restores the original file.

Dusin, I kind of figured it had something to do with the pic, didn't think about the driver re-install, will try tomorrow. Also was comfortable it wasn't the patch. But still a good job with that, like I said it helped alot in a jam, not gotta get out of this one.
Thanks again.

From Rockwell forums.
http://208.74.204.206/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NotSure/thread-id/4949

Actually there is a way to get the 1747-PIC / AIC+ driver to work in XP sp3 (I don't know about Win7). It's a nasty workaround for those people who's company won't buy them newer hardware interfaces! It revolves around replacing the serial port driver in sp3 with that from sp2. After doing the swap the serial port will only be compatible with your 1747-PIC interface as it will be a non-standard port under sp3. Anyway here goes:

1. Obtain "serenum.sys" from XP sp2. It lives in folder C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and can be identified from it's file version (it will be file version 5.1.2600.2280).
  2. Back up your existing "serenum.sys" under sp3 (it will be file version 5.1.2600.5512). I generally make a folder on my desktop with both versions (appended with the version number).
  3. In RSLinx, delete any instance of drivers which use the serial port. Preferably, don't have RSLinx configured as a service.
  4. Reboot your PC into safe mode.
  5. Using explorer, locate the xp2 file version of "serenum.sys" and copy it.
  6. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and paste the copied file overwriting the sp3 file.
  7. Reboot your PC into normal mode.
  8. Before doing anything else, run RSLinx.
  9. Add the 1747-PIC / AIC+ driver - make sure you tick the checkbox 'Reserve COM Port for Exclusive use by this driver'.
  10. The new driver should be listed in Configured Drivers list as 'Running". If not, repeat the procedure from step (3).
  11. You can confirm the sp2 driver is installed by checking the Device Manager COM1 port - it will no longer be reporting 'Communications Port'.
  12. [End]
This procedure works for me every time on any XP sp3 laptop I have tried. I run a Dell Latitude D830.

Be aware Windows XP will revert the driver back to the original if you haven't followed the procedure precisely. However, if you've reached the driver 'Running' stage and the checkbox in step (9) is ticked then it will remain in situ even after a reboot.

Note: While the sp2 driver is installed you will not be able to use the port as a standard COM port.

To remove the sp2 driver and restore the normal operation of the serial port, run RSLinx and delete the 1747-PIC driver. Windows XP will automatically restore the sp3 version of "serenum.sys". Confirm this by checking Device Manager.

Enjoy.

That is essentially what my patch does. And because I was nervous about what it might do to other things that use serenum.sys, I made sure you could easily remove it.

And just in case something went wrong, on my latest patch you can right click on it and select deploy. This will extract the SP2 and SP3 versions of the file as well as the cabinet file (for the native SP3 version) from my .exe. There is also a help that describes where these files are located in both versions of SP3.

SouthPahw, did you get it working?