You ain't going to believe this but.....

OK,OK now I'm scared,

I can't find anything in the EN standards to show that a "Two-Hand control" system must be rated for safety even if the safety circuit has nothing to do with it ! can somebody cut & paste the statement in the OSHA regs ???

I'm unable to remember what code we got written up on, but I was working at an automobile parts supplier about 6 years ago when we received a random OSHA inspection & had 2 machines taken out of service immediately for having 2-hand controls that did not meet operational standards, and could not be put back into production until retrofitted and re-certified - or the 2 hand controls were removed, as the machines did not require 2-hand controls.

The 2 machines were not presses, one was a packaging machine & the other was a drilling machine, neither of which an operator could even get his hands into the operational area.

BTW, I ended up updating both 2-hand controls to all safety codes.

Not saying this occurred but it is possible the (OSHA) field inspector was enforcing rules that he thought should exist but could not be found in any CFR?

This rule probably exists, but I know those types of inspectors exist. They have as much trouble interpreting the code as the rest of us. The wording sometimes makes it confusing. Example...

NEC requirements for receptacles in houses:

Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the floor line in any wall space is more than 6', measured horizontally, from an outlet in that space, including any wall space 2' or more in width and the wall space occupied by fixed panels in exterior walls, but excluding sliding panels in exterior walls. The wall space afforded by fixed room dividers, such as freestanding bar-type counters or railings, shall be included in the 6' measurement.

Many electricians (and inspectors!) think this means that outlets must be spaced 6 feet apart. What it ACTUALLY means is that they must be within 6' of an opening, and cannot be spaced more than TWELVE feet apart. Why don't they just SAY that?!... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric

What it ACTUALLY means is that they must be within 6' of an opening, and cannot be spaced more than TWELVE feet apart. Why don't they just SAY that?

They can't just say that, because it woould be too simple. There would be a lot of code consultants,etc out of work. Many more homeowners would be doing there own work. As it is now, most shouldn't be doing their own work.

I was in a local home improvement store similar to Lowes / Home Depot.

Husband and wife walk past a rack of how-to electrical books.

Wife asks: "Do you need a book to tell you how to wire?

Husband replies: "No, I know all about wiring"

They walk past the 19 cent blue plastic outlet boxes, wife asks: " Do you need some of these boxes"?

Husband replies: "No, I know what I'm doing, I've got electric tape".

I love the wording for outlet spacing in the code quote. I have one general contractor who wants outlets 8' apart, because he thinks he is cheating the government ("National" Electric Code), and saving money because it uses 1/3 less outlets.

regards.......casey

kc9ih said:
Eric

Nice Looking Panel!

Would like to see a thread start up with panel pictures, to see how others do their panels. Might spot something new and innovative.

How about a thread with pictures of stuff that's been installed a while? You wouldn't believe what I'm seeing lately!