ZEN serial port settings

sefcs

I am using the following setup:
ZEN-10C3AR-A-V2 Omron PLC
ZEN-SOFT01-V4 Support Software (ver 4.14)
ZEN-CIF01 Connecting Cable
USB-Serial converter (third party)
Windows 7 Laptop
I want to download in the PLC a new version of the ladder program. I have performed this operation many times in the past but now I am having some difficulties since I cannot establish the connection between the ZEN support software and the PLC.
I am still checking the cabling, drivers, etc. But I do not remember the exact settings for the PC serial port and I cannot find it in any user manual. I have been using all the combinations of baud rates, parity, stop bits, etc, without success. Can anybody help me on this?

Sefcs,

Look in the ZenTool Help files (copy attached for educational purposes), "Transferring and Monitoring Programs", then "Connecting the ZEN and Communications". It appears that the ZEN must use Com 1 or 2, and that the Node number set in the program must be the same as the Node number set on the ZEN.

Also, look at the ZEN Help Error Messages:

If the ZEN model type does not match the type set in the program, then connection cannot be made.

If the ZEN is in RUN mode, then connection cannot be made. Change the ZEN to STOP mode and re-execute the command.

If the ZEN is protected, then a connection cannot be made. The protection must be removed.

Last edited:
Lancie1, thank you for your response!!
Actually what I am looking for are the settings of the PC serial port (baud rate, data bits, parity and stop bits). These parameters are not available in the “Communication Settings (Computer <-> ZEN)” dialog of the ZEN Support Software application.
I am not sure if it is not available because the ZEN SW takes care of that seamlessly to the user (configuring silently the COM port with the appropriate parameters that fit ZEN settings) or it assumed that the user has to take care of that using the Windows dialogs and ensuring that the configuration suits ZEN.
Last time I get connected to my ZEN was one year ago and I do not remember the steps I used to follow.
The issue is that, in any case, needed or not, I cannot find the serial port setting in the PC that suits ZEN serial cable.

The issue is that, in any case, needed or not, I cannot find the serial port setting in the PC that suits ZEN serial cable.
If the ZEN is like many other PLCs (Allen Bradley SLC model, for example), the serial port settings in Windowsmayo not apply to the ZEN. In other words, Windows has its setting, and the ZEN has its own port settings, which may conflict with the Windows settings where they both try to use the same COMM port. Usually it is best to set Windows with a different port than the one used by the PLC.

I do not see the way to do that since ZEN SW uses a Windows COM port to communicate with ZEN PLC.

The question is:
case 1.- if ZEN SW configures the COM port settings by himself my problem is over.
case 2.- if not, it implies that I have to configure COM port with the correct settings (data bits, baud rate, parity and stop bits), using the Windows' device manager dialog.

In case 2 I need to know what are the correct settings for ZEN PLC (9600 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit?)

I have read all the Omron documentation and I have not found anything, so most likely we are in case 1 where ZEN SW takes care of all this stuff for you. If somebody could confirm that It would be very helpfull because I would stop considering this like one of the possible causes of my communication problem, and I would concentrate working on the cables, drivers, etc

I do not see the way to do that since ZEN SW uses a Windows COM port to communicate with ZEN PLC.
That is not what I got from reading the ZEN Programmable Relal Operational Manual. You are in your Case 1.

(1) Your computer must have at least one free real RS-232C serial port. That port must not be used by any other software drivers (including Windows). If you do have a Windows serial port driver set up, then the possible ZEN baud rates are 4800, 9600, or 19200. If your computer does not have a real serial port (very few newer computers do have a serial port), then you need the ZEN converter CS1W-CIF31, which allows using a USB port.
Note: For notebook computers that do not have an RS-232C serial port, connect the computer to the ZEN by connecting an OMRON CS1W-CIF31 USB-Serial Conversion Cable to the ZEN-CIF01 Connecting Cable.

(2) The ZEN automatically configures its driver to match the port speed. See the The important thing you DO have to set is the Node address (0 to 9). This is NOT the COMM port number (which is either 1 or 2). The attached picture is from the Operation Manual, page 100.

(3) See the ZEN Help files topic "Connecting the ZEN and Communications" for how to set the COMM Port number (1 or 2) and the Zen Software Node Address (0 to 9). See the picture below for how to set the ZEN Programmable Relay CPU Node Address. These two Node Addresses must be the same!

"Communications cannot be performed if the node addresses (not COMM ports) do not match!"

ZEN Node Address.jpg

Last edited:
Lancie1, yes finally I did it.

In short, the problem was the USB-serial converter. I have tried with 4 different converters. Three of them were based on the same chipset with different form factors and brand names. None of them worked. The last one worked immediately, at first attempt.

Summarizing:
- You do not need to know serial port settings. ZEN SW takes care of that.
- Node address is only needed for V1 CPUs (I am using V2)
- Avoid using pro...-based USB-serial converter, very cheap but useless (very expensive at the end of the day).

So, problem solved. Thanks a lot for your help.

Great! I am very glad to know about the USB converter problem. The USB converter problem happens with other brands of PLC also (Allen Bradley SLC model for example). Would you tell us the brand and model that finally did work (besides the official ZEN converter CS1W-CIF31)?

PD: I guess that the problem of USB-serial converter has something to do with improper voltage level, since a serial port led-tester did not find any difference between the converters that I have been using (I have not used an osciloscope for a definite comparison of them)

I am betting on the Digitus model DC-USB2-LED or the DA-73101 converter. Both of these USB-to-serial converters meet the USB 2.0 standard, and use FTDI/FT232RL chipsets. The other Digitus USB converters use the Prolific USB type 1.1 chipsets that you said did not work.

Just wanted to add that I had the same problem recently. I purchased a Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS High-Speed USB Serial Adapter from Amazon and it worked perfectly.

Thanks