corrupt processor

hquick

Hi All,
been here a while but this is my first post!
At work we use AB PLC5's and now..moreso SLC 5/04's.
A couple of days ago whilst trying to get online to one of the nodes it came up with a "corupt processor" fault message.
I can get online to the node with my laptop as can the other sparky, however when trying to get online with a PC and PKTXD card..we get the error. The node in question is a PC running RSVIEW. I can open the RSVIEW project on the PC in question and operate the machinery but cannot upload/download.
Any thoughts?
I have tried 2 seperate PC's. One is new...the other was working until maybe a few days ago.

Thanks

Howard

So you are using your HMI PC as a programming terminal and trying to go online from it to a PLC/SLC when the error occurs?

And, other PCs (laptops) are able to connect to the PLC/SLC?

Then it sounds like you have a corrupt offline file on the HMI PC. Try replacing it with an uploaded copy from one of the laptops.

If the machinery is running, then nothing is wrong with the PLC/SLC programs...unless I have misunderstood...

make sure you are using the same version of software.

we use 500 ver 7.1 and somehow a 7.0 disc appeared and i used it on my install. I got the corrupt processor error until i unistalled it and reinstalled the right version.

Make sure that you have the current releases of RSLogix 5, RSLogix 500, and RSLinx.

Although I can't tell from your post which type of processor you are talking about, there was a rare bug in RSLinx 2.50 involving the 1784-PKTX card that could possibly fault a PLC-5 controller during online operations. That bug is repaired in RSLinx 2.51.

Again, I would need a lot more information from you to make this conclusion, but it can't hurt to have the current software. RSLinx Lite, especially, because it is a free download.

Thanks guys,

Swapped the processor with one we had in another area of the plant and it fixed the problem. Also, when we put the faulty one in the other location it was fine?
Rockwell support were of no use.
As for the processors, they're SLC 5/04's.
We get regular updates to the software so it is all the latest releases.
Thanks to all for your help/suggestions.

Howard

I'm glad to hear that someone else has experienced this issue. I have a few SLC 5/05's that have exhibited the same behavior. Out of nowhere, 2 of the processors came up faulted (with no real fault displayed when online, only the option to clear the fault). After clearing the 2 processors, one of them faulted again. I then swapped the processors and have had no further issues.
I have however run into another issue that I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me out with... Another SLC 5/05 came up faulted (solid red light) this past Friday. For unknown reasons, I was unable to communicate with the processor at any level. I attempted both RS-232 as well as E-Net on 2 seperate laptops. I was left with no option other than replacing the processor. Typically that would not be a major ordeal, however in the past 2 days, the new processor has come up faulted 2 times. Both faults were 0001h or that the DEFAULT program was loaded due to NVRAM error. Has anyone encountered this before or have any ideas as to what may be wrong?

Thanks!!

another tree to bark up ...

Greetings TerriLaf ...

how does the processor get its power? ... from a 120VAC “line” from a breaker panel - or from a step-down transformer? ... if it’s from a step-down transformer, how does the high-side power to the transformer primary get shut off when “power down time” rolls around? ... does somebody just turn off the high-side disconnect? ...

basic idea behind my questions: suppose that the PLC is being powered from a step-down transformer ... suppose that the primary-side power to the transformer is suddenly cut off ... suppose that the AC sine wave happens to be at or near a peak at the instant the power is cut off ... quick question: what happens to the magnetic flux that is built up around the transformer core? ... quick answer: the flux doesn’t just dissipate ... it doesn’t just vanish ... instead it collapses VERY QUICKLY - back through the conductors of the secondary ... by cutting through the conductors, the flux meets the definition of an electrical “generator” ... so how many volts can it generate? ... a LOT more than just 120VAC ... compare the action we just described with the action of the ignition coil in your car ... you put in only about 12VDC - but you get out something in the neighborhood of 20,000 to 40,000 volts for the spark plug ...

and so ... you didn’t give us enough information to say for sure, but we MIGHT have 120VAC coming out of a step-down transformer and feeding into our PLC ... but suddenly someone throws off the main disconnect switch ... and MAYBE the power spikes up to several thousand volts - and THAT gets fed into our PLC ... oops! ...

now this line of reasoning might not have anything at all to do with your problem - but I have seen situations in the field where issues like this have caused erratic and intermittent problems such as you’ve described ...

also ... if the PLC has a UPS, how much did you pay for it? ... basic idea: some of the cheaper models can actually cause more problems than they correct ... they often produce a quick high-voltage spike whenever they transfer over from “battery charging” mode to “providing AC power mode” ...

Thanks for the post, Ron. Let me try to answer your questions.
The equipment is being supplied 208 3ph. from the disconnect. Upon entering the equipment, we hit our first set of power protection via fuses. From there we are tapping into 1 leg of the power for our 120VAC to the SLC power supply (which houses its own fuse). There is no battery back up for this PLC, though we do have one on the mahcine. The back up is solely for the PC. We have an identical setup on 6 other machines in-house, with this one being the only problem child. Please let know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

Corrupt 5/05

Hi all,
I have a 5/05 that is currently operating fine, I need to make a minor change to the program and whenever I go to get online it comes up with "Corrupt Processor" and fails to go online. Meanwhile the PLC must be working as the production line is still making widgets. Is this the same symptons that you had Kurt?

Cheers
Peter

Can you post the firmware version of the CPu and the RSLogix and RSLinx version?

A few years ago I remember having that problem and I think it was version related...can't remmember if it was RSLinx or RSlogix, or offline file corruption.

I DO remember in very early versions of RSLogix500, having to export data tables and create a Upload New when going online, but is probably not your issue...just an old recollection...I think that error message referred to the file as corrupt, but it's been too many moons ago...

RS500 Ver 7.00
RS Linx Ver 2.51
Processor is 1747-L553B/C 64K OS501 Series C

I cannot remove the processor to check the firmware version.

Tried a different laptop and had the same problem although I am not sure what versions are on that one.

Noticed that the comms path shows a name as to who saved it last so I will follow up with them on their version

from KB

Error : Corrupted Processor
trnsp.gif
Question Error : Corrupted Processor
trnsp.gif
Answer [font=Times New Roman, Times]Problem: When using versions prior to 7.10, corrupted processor error[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times]Cause: Firmware 10 controllers used.[/font]

Cure: Upgrade to RSLogix 500 ver 7.10

That's what I expected. Thanks - I tried to look for the fault on the AB site and found it gave loads of info but nothing specific to the question I asked.......looks like they do the if you don't know the answer then baffle them with bull#$%t trick!