RSLogix Fatal Error Dump file

Tharon

I recently tried to upload a project from a v20.01 CompactLogix PLC. I didn't have an original file.

When I tried (using RSLogix 5000 v20.01) it would connect to the processor, and begin to upload. It would get partway thru uploading the tag data, and crash (probably about 30% overall progress) with a Fatal Error.

It directed me toward the Dump file, but when I find it on my computer, it's 543MB and I don't know how to open it. I tried it simply in Notepad, but it stalls out. The program stops responding and leaving it running for about 15 minutes it never finishes what ever it was doing.

I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong program to attempt to view it, or if there is a problem with my Dump file, or if for some reason my dump file is so large (543MB seems big for a text document for me) that it just can't open it anymore.

Had I known I couldn't open the Dump to get the error details, I would have taken a screenshot of the actual error text. Now I'm not at the machine so I can't attempt it again.

I made it back to the site, and tried again. This time recording some information on the faults.

Tomorrow I will be calling Tech Connect and trying to work with them on the problem, but figured I'd post the information here tonight.

Attached screenshots of when the fault occurs during the upload, and the details of the alarm.

Seems to always happen when the upload process reaches "Uploading all PLC/SLC Tag Mapping Information..." The fault itself says "RxE_ALREADY_EXISTS - Object already exists and cannot be created twice".

I find it odd that I don't get an Upload option when I try to connect. I just have Download and Select File. If I select a file that exists, it doesn't give me any other options. I have to select a file that does not exist, and it asks me if I want to create it and upload the program.

Maybe I'm going about the upload process wrong? I cannot say I have ever uploaded without a file from a Control or Compact logix processor before. I only have a few, and all of them I have had offline projects for already.

Edit:
Thinking that it may be some sort of write permissions issue with Windows, I ran the program as admin, but still got the same error at the same time.

FAULT.jpg FAULT2.jpg FAULT3.jpg

Last edited:
you can try and create an empty project file called upload_xxxx and upload it the way you would normally do it,

Its usually not a hard process to upload,

Sounds like to me you have a software (logix 5000) issue you could try and re-install logix on you laptop

Or try another programmers laptop.

The dump file is only useful to you if you are a paid member up to rockwell tech support send it on to them and they could help

I'm going to attempt to upload something from one of my known working systems. One that I programmed myself, with known addon profiles, tag databases, etc. Nothing special.

Then I'll attempt to make a dummy program with the same IO configuration (which, I can see through RSLinx), and upload using that.

Should take all of... 30 minutes to try that. Then contact Tech Connect if it still fails.

Taken from Another forum,

RSLogix 5000 Fatal Error in RxFBD_LatchedTagManager.cpp
64462 | 10/09/2009 | Access Level: TechConnect Email this page Print Subscribe to Updates
Problem

RSLogix 5000 software has been reported to generate this particular Fatal Error during the creation of a new IREFs within FBD routines.

Inserting a new IREF within a Function Block Routine could generates Fatal Errors:

Source File: RxFBD_LatchedTagManager.cpp
Line Number: 641
Function/Method: RxFBD_LatchedTagManager::CreateLatchedTag
OS Version: Windows XP (Service Pack 3 - Build 2600)
Thread Id: 000017a8 (6056)
Error 0x800432a5 (-2147208539)
RxTAG_IN_USE - Tag is actively being read by one or more clients.
or

Thread Id: 00001650 (5712)
Error 0x80042003 (-2147213309)
RxE_ALREADY_EXISTS - Object already exists and cannot be created twice.
or

Thread Id: 00001650 (5712)
Error 0x800429ab (-2147213309)
RxE_ALREADY_EXISTS - Object already exists and cannot be created twice.
Environment

Function Block IREF and OREF references are used to transfer values from input tags and to output tags. A function block routine is executed as follows:

Data is "latched" (put into an internal holding tag for the entire scan of the program) in all IREFs
Controller executes the function blocks in the order they were wired.
The Controller writes the OREFs outputs.

The RSLogix 5000 software creates these latched tags by using a random number plus a formula to generate a name. The last random number used is stored in the LatchTagManager's database to be used in the formula for the next new latched tag.
Cause

The issue starts if the random number somehow did NOT get committed to the database, and the latched tag was created. So the next time RSLogix 5000 software attempts to generate a name for a new latch tag, it ends up with the same name as the previous and Fatal Error occurs.

Solution

RSLogix 5000 software v20.00 is now available for download and has been reworked to utilize an entirely different algorithm.

RSLogix 5000 software v18 and later software should reduce the chances of this occurring, however it may still happen. We are still investigating exactly how the software gets into this condition.

Workarounds

Users with RSLogix 5000 pre-v20 software that experience this Fatal Error can attempt any of the following procedures to try to work around their issue.

First try to restart RSLogix 5000 software and while Offline select File > Compact... to defragment the project file database. Then attempt to go back Online and create the IREF.
Users can also try "Uploading" the project from the controller, to recompile the Offline .ACD image, before going Online again to create the IREF.
If the first to suggestions don't resolve this issue, then it may be required to redownload the application. First try a regular download. If the download still hasn't clear the error, then it might be necessary save the project as .L5K format and import it back as a new .ACD file. This extended procedure would require any ControlNet connections to be rescheduled.
RSLogix 5000 v17 or higher users maybe able to use a Partial Online Import (PIO) feature to create a new Program \ Routine that replaces the original FBD routine containing the IREF issue. See the following manual for complete PIO details and import considerations.
Source: Publication 1756-PM019, Import/Export Project Components Programming Manual

Last edited:
I did read that in the Tech Connect knowledgebase. I think it was the only entry I found on the error.

Unfortunately the issue doesn't appear to be the same, as the problem I'm having is the RxERR.cpp, and not the RxFBD_LatchedTagManager.cpp.

And the workarounds suggested in the article won't work. As I'm already on v20 of the software, I do not have an offline copy of the program, and I am currently trying to upload a fresh copy out of the controller.

Thanks though.

Did v20 of RSLogix 5000 have the v20.01 vs v20.03 compatibility issue? For some reason I thought that started in v21, but if it's v20, would that explain the issue?

I talked with the OEM a bit, and they said, and gave me a screenshot, that the processor was v20.13. The RSLinx property info on my connection says v20.013, which I thought was a version of v20.01. But if it's really 20.13...

So, if my issue is v20.01 vs v20.03, and I have multiple v20 processors, and some have v20.01, and some have v20.03... how do I support them all from a single installation...

I have a couple more things to look into (like asking the OEM to just send me the offline project), but if this is the cause of my problem, I don't know how to solve it other than upgrading all my processors to the x.03 and installing x.03... which would be a pain.

Edit:
Looks like I will be trying out v20.04 and seeing if that will solve my issues. Time to start installing.

Last edited:
Taken from Another forum,

RSLogix 5000 Fatal Error in RxFBD_LatchedTagManager.cpp
64462 | 10/09/2009 | Access Level: TechConnect Email this page Print Subscribe to Updates
Problem
IHMO it's not a good idea copying here copyrighted information.

FYI: https://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/legal-notices/overview.page?

Use Restrictions

The copyright in all material (including still and moving images) provided, maintained or accessible on this Site is held by Rockwell Automation or by the original creator of the material or its assignee. Except as stated herein, none of this material may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means, including without limitation, by electronic, mechanical, photocopying or other recording means, without the prior written permission of Rockwell Automation or the appropriate copyright owner. User also may not, without prior written permission from Rockwell Automation, "mirror" any material contained in this Site, perform "deep links" or use any Trademark as a metatag relative to any other web site. Unless otherwise expressly stated elsewhere within this Site, the sale or licensing of product (if any) by Rockwell Automation from this Site is limited to customers and shipping destinations within the United States.
Access to downloads and use thereof is restricted to individuals or entities that have acquired Rockwell Automation product from an authorized source. All other downloads and use thereof are prohibited.

I installed RSLogix 5000 v20.04, when I was at 20.01. I connected and uploaded just fine after that.

When I check the properties of the controller in RSLogix I see: 20.13

When I check the properties of the controller in RSLinx I see: 20.013

I'm not sure if I'm looking at two difference revisions, or if RSLinx is adding a leading zero to the minor rev?

So, I'm not 100% sure if my issue was a v20.01/v20.03 compatibility issue, and installing v20.04 fixed it. Or if my issue was a problem with RSLogix 5000 and uninstalling 20.01 and reinstalling 20.04 fixed that.

Right now I'm thinking it was a v20.01 / v20.03 compatibility issue.

This V20 issue (01 vs 03 vs 04) has always been a wee nightmare.

Always better to install v20.04 as Rockwell have fixed the compatibility issue between the 2 "minor" versions, but you never know what else they have done in the background.....