how to use MSG instruction

hsemar75

Hello,
Iam using SLC5/04 processors. I Like to send a bit from one processors to other processor. The communication is done by DH+ cable. In Rslinx I am able to view the two processors.
But i dont know how to send a bit from one processor to another processor. I tried using MSG instruction but could not suceeed . So please me to communicate the data between the processors.
Is anybody have some examples using MSG instruction Please help me.

Regards,
G.Ramesh

the MSG command cannot send a single bit - it must send at least one sixteen-bit "word" at a time ... try sending something like N7:0 - instead of B3/0 ...

if you can't get this to work, post a screen shot of your MSG setup and we'll help you correct it ... be sure to tell us what DH+ addresses you are using for both of your SLC-5/04 processors ...

going further: if you only need ONE word, then you don't even need the MSG command ... go to the "Global Data" tab in the "Processor Status" file and click the "Help" button there ...

basic idea: you can have two SLC-5/04 processors exchange one word of data with each other over the DH+ network without using any MSG programming ...

and welcome to the forum ...

going further: if you only need ONE word, then you don't even need the MSG command ... go to the "Global Data" tab in the "Processor Status" file and click the "Help" button there ...

basic idea: you can have two SLC-5/04 processors exchange one word of data with each other over the DH+ network without using any MSG programming ...

Cool Ron I have never seen this before. I may have a new trick next time I am at a certain plant.

going further: if you only need ONE word, then you don't even need the MSG command ... go to the "Global Data" tab in the "Processor Status" file...
Ron, do you know whether that feature has been inherited by the Logix series processors?

Thanks.

it has not ... specifically, I know of NO WAY to make this work with ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix, etc. ...

point: it ONLY works for DH+ networks ...

so PLC-5's and SLC-5/04's are perfect for it - but other processors (using DH-485 and Ethernet for specific examples) won't work ...

Originally posted by Doug-P:

Ron, do you know whether that feature has been inherited by the Logix series processors?

But with the Logix stuff you have produced and consumed tags, which is Global Data on steroids.

Keith

Ron do the 5 have that global data?

yep ... that's where the whole thing started ... it's just that most people don't know that the feature is available ...

the setup is a little different with the PLC-5 ...

go to Channel Configuration - and to the tab for Channel 1A (usually defaults to DH+) ... enter an unused file number for the "Global Status Flags File" setting ... RSLogix5 will create a 64 word integer file for you ... one of the words in that file is YOUR processor's "mailbox" ... count carefully from 0 up to YOUR box/word (just remember that the integer file is addressed in DECIMAL - but the processor's DH+ address number is OCTAL) ... type a sample number into YOUR mailbox ...

now go to any other PLC-5 on the DH+ and create a "Global Status Flags File" for it too ... you don't have to use the same file number for each processor - but your sanity will suffer if you don't ...

BINGO! ... you should see the sample number from YOUR processor - located in the appropriately positioned "mailbox" on the chart ...

if you need more info, the online help from the Channel Config window is pretty good ... look under "DH+ Configuration Settings" ...

party on ...

Last edited:
And here is a picture and text from the online help to go along with what Ron said.

Edit: I went to the trouble to make the pic and text while Ron was posting so I am going to post them anyway.

GlobalStatusFlags.jpg

Attachments

• Channel 1A - 2B DH+ mode .pdf
    15.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
we're spending WAY too much time on this hobby of ours ...

from Mickey:

I went to the trouble to make the pic and text while Ron was posting so I am going to post them anyway.

that's ironic ... I started to do a picture too - but then I thought: "Nah ... if I take the time to do that, then Mickey will beat me to the post." ...

we're spending WAY too much time on this hobby of ours ...
Boy is that so true.

Time to go pick up the grandson from school. Never get tried of that. Then off to Tae Kwon Do.

transfer one word to another processor using global data

I like to send a word from one PLC(SLC5/04) to other(SLC5/04). The first PLC has the node address of one and another has node2.
Can I have some examples to send one word from one processor to other. Please guide.

I like to send a word from one PLC(SLC5/04) to other(SLC5/04). The first PLC has the node address of one and another has node2.
Can I have some examples to send one word from one processor to other. Please guide.

See pictures/PDF below for info on your SLC5/04's "Global Status Word"

Global Status Word.jpg Global Status Word_1.jpg

Attachments

• GlobalStatusWord.pdf
    285.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: