PLCs and AutoCad

RCFleischer

Are there any PLCs to which you can download an AutoCad electrical design (directly or through third party software)?

I note that AutoCad Electrical has ladder symbols for most of the PLC vendors which would seem to imply a direct download capability.

(And yes, I am posting this question to AutoCad forums also.)

Thanks,
Rick

What exactly do you mean by
AutoCad electrical design

Many PLC vendors provide downloadable drawings of thier components, but not any type of "design".

What are you looking for a completed drawing with panel layout, wiring diagrams and a BOM? I don't think you'll find this available for download, to many varibles.

I have an old version of what is now ACAD Electrical. You can export the I/O descriptions to a spreadsheet. If your PLC software will let you import and export your I/O, it is fairly massage it and import it. Saves a lot of time, no more double entry of descriptors.

I have a feeling that I am not answering your question. What do you mean by direct download?

Take IGES/DWG/DXF of the drawing and convert contacts and relays etc to ladder or STL is what I suppose he means .

RCFleischer said:
Are there any PLCs to which you can download an AutoCad electrical design (directly or through third party software)?

I note that AutoCad Electrical has ladder symbols for most of the PLC vendors which would seem to imply a direct download capability.
I do not mean to be too critical. But, think about what information is on the CAD drawing. It has been a long time since I have seen an electrical schematic done in CAD that includes the machines 'Logic'. The 'Logic' is generally generated by the PLC software.

It would not be very efficient to use CAD software to troubleshoot or make changes, or would you expect it to do on-line changes.

BTW, should it also work with any manufacturers CPU?

On Bechoff have good site, everything can download without logins and passwords.
(Cabinets founds from Rittal site easily.)
One easy is ABB (if You found the product).
I have got something from AB site also, there was million of bezier curves on VFD's drawing, AB Please simplify, I don't need design VFD's Plastic Cover manufacture.
From Festo, You need logins etc. but downloads works well.
With Siemens, i give up, I must draw them myself from some .pdf manual.
There are some 3D model but, who interest?

Primary I'm downloading .DXF-format if found, because I'm not use Auto Cad drawing program for designing. AC's DWG format must be as old than Your AC is.

It´s not that because AutoCAD shows you ladder symbols, it will know what they are, except for drawing entities.
To download a PLC program to a PLC you need special software. Basically, a PLC does not run on ladder but on machine code. the special software can show you ladder but before download it will generate machine code.