addressing for block transfers???

RookieGerg

I have been shown how to BT w/ AB PV. Than said i am lost on how to start with what I have. My ****uation: A touchscreen (possiably xycom, or controltouch) died before I arrived. They downloaded everything to a PC and it functioned for years. Power failure, lost program. I wrote a "basic program" that is place now. The PC is not used to change variables in the test, I must change in plc. Abkf2 is on the PC. How would I make it to where I could input a variable via a mouse / keyboard into program. Where are the address I need for BT. Thank you all, apoligies for my greeness.

More info required.
What software do you have( are you using) in your PC?
What PLC do you have? What port is connected to the PLC from your KF2 box?
The KF2 box is a Data Highway to serial converter. Block transfers are probably not required sense they would be used with a Remote I/O link.
The KF2 box does not do that.

maybe we won't need any block transfers after all ...

update:

I just talked to Greg by phone ... here's the situation (as I understand it) in nutshell ...

Greg has inherited a desktop computer loaded with a Run-Time (only) package of OLD Wonderware InTouch ... specifically, NO WindowMaker Development software (or hardware key for same) seems to be available ... he DOES have a Run-Time key available, however ... the screens were originally developed by someone who is NO LONGER available (been tried - can't be done) ... the screens don't jive with the new .RSS program that Greg has recently written for the SLC-5/04 ... finding out the addresses in the InTouch application is difficult (if not impossible) since the WindowMaker piece of the puzzle is not available ...

the bo$$ wants to get the old Wonderware stuff working again as an operator's interface - without (you guessed it) spending any serious money ...

plan of attack (at least so far): ... send the desktop to me and let me see what I can do with it ... Greg will run that idea by his boss tomorrow ...

cause for confusion: Greg was incorrectly (but understandably) equating the idea of a PanelView operator's interface (AB hardware) with the idea of Wonderware InTouch operator's interface (HMI software) ... yes, we'd need the Block Transfers for the PanelView - on a Remote I/O link ... but ... we probably (almost assuredly) will not need them for the Wonderware InTouch application to work ...

as for the KF2 box ... we’re not sure at this point whether or not Greg even has this piece of hardware ... he’s physically looking for it as I type ... he just happened to notice an icon on the desktop that mentions “ABKF2” ... what that means is yet to be determined ...

as luck (or lack thereof) would have it, Greg doesn’t have full administrator privileges to the desktop computer - but he gets along well with his company’s IT department ... we’ll see how that turns out as time progresses ... in the meantime, some of the quick and easy tests that we’d like to make just can’t be done at present ...

more to follow ...

Last edited:
You can export the WW tag database into a CSV file without a development license or WM.exe (have him look for InTouch.exe or DBDump.exe). Alternatively, if he wants to send the WW app to me I can open it up and lend a hand.

Last edited:
robertmee said:
You can export the WW tag database into a CSV file without a development license or WM.exe (have him look for InTouch.exe or DBDump.exe).

Can you explain how? I have Intouch 7.1.

I have WindowViewer and WindowMaker, but only have a runtime license so I cannot use WindowMaker. I'd like to get a WindowMaker license and some training so I can modify some screens that are problematic and/or not working as intended, but that's another story that involves time and money.

I'd like to get a tag list out so I can have a reference when looking at the PLC program and maybe fix some of the issues without modifying the Intouch runtime. And also get a tag total so I know how much I'm going to have to pay for a developement license (which apparently is based on the number of tags used in the program).

In your program tree, you should have a shortcut to InTouch.exe (I'm pretty sure that existed w/ 7.1). Open that up. You should have a list of your applications. Highlight the one you want. At the top is an Icon that looks like children's blocks with the letters DB on them. Select the one that's dumping out of the box. That will dump your tag database to a CSV file.

If you don't have the shortcut, browse to the Program Files\Intouch (or WonderWare) directories and look for Intouch.exe. Alternatively, find the dbdump.exe and run it directly. It will prompt you to browse the application directory.

Tell it to sort by I/O group as it makes it easier to read. It will sort them by Discrete Memory, Discrete I/O, Analog Memory, Analog I/O, etc. It will put a header above each. I use Excel and freeze frames on the header of each type, and sort within that by itemname giving me a sorted list of PLC addresses.

You can also use this spreadsheet in conjunction with DBLOad to update your WW without windowmaker. In the spreadsheet on the first line there is something that says xxxx=ASK (funny, the million times I've done it I don't remember exactly). Change the ASK to UPDATE. Then make your itemname changes or text changes. Then use the DBLOAD.exe utility to stuff it back into wonderware. The UPDATE info you changed will automatically update all tags.

If doing a DBLoad, always backup your unchanged CSV file or the application itself incase you have to go back.

Last edited: