Automation Desktop Tips and Tricks

akreel

We've started using Rockwell's Automation Desktop to help with document control and project management. While I do believe that the software has helped greatly with version control, I haven't been impressed with the package as a whole. We've already given up on using many of the features which are supposed to integrate RSView, RSLogix, etc. because working with the Automation Desktop projects just became over-complicated.

For example, the PLC rack layout tool is nice. But, if you use it to create your PLC program the .ACD file becomes less portable, because you lose the ability to check out the file and take it over to another machine. I've been told the next version will help with the problem I've described, but it doesn't sound like the "fix" is exactly what we want either.

Is anybody else using this software? What features would you recommend in favor of or against? I'd really like to know if there are any wiz-bang gizmos in AD, and whether there are any major hang-ups. And, I'd like to hear this from someone other than the salesman!

AK