Panelview

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there any way to connect a panelview 1000 (232 DF1 protocol, not the 232/485 model) to a DH485 network. ie will it connect into a AIC+ module. I don't think it can be done but I hope to be proven wrong. Regards Alan Case

Why isn't there every a "PanelView Firmware" category at the pub on Trivia Night ? I'd clean up !

You're correct, Alan, that DF1 and DH-485 are different and incompatible protocols, even when they're carried on the same physical signaling system (RS-232). Just converting the signaling system from RS-232 to RS-485 doesn't change the protocol.

But wait, there's more, as long as you don't mind voiding the warranty.

PanelViews have a "hardware string" built into their boot firmware that will inform the firmware download utility what mainboard and communications daughterboard revisions are present. This helps prevent you from loading ControlNet firmware into a DH+ PanelView and creating an expensive doorstop.

On the DF1 and DH-485(RS232) terminals, the hardware string is the same. You can download DH-485(RS-232) firmware into a DF1 PanelView terminal. The two serial ports (printer and comms port) will now be swapped in their assignments, but the former Printer port will now run DH-485 protocol.

example part numbers:
2711-T10C16 DF1 with Printer Port
2711-T10C9 DH485 (RS232) with Printer Port

This is not true of the DH-485(RS-485) firmware ! That hardware (the 2711-T10C3 terminal, for example) is different and that firmware won't run on a PanelView that started life with DF1 !

Since this is a newer PV terminal, you might not want to void it's warranty, but if you do I recommend using a Flash memory card instead of the difficult DOS utility.

Once you've changed the protocol, you will need to convert to RS-485 electrical format to plug into a DH-485 network, and for that you do use the 1761-NET-AIC (called the AIC+) module.

Cheers,

Eddie

I am lost again. I cannot find any reference to the firmware downloads for a panelview any where on the rockwell site. Any help would be appreciated. Alan Case

I found the firmware download. I also had a copy of it on my panelbuilder install disk.
The new firmware is version 4.20.
The panelview is a 1000 colour keypad DF1 model.
It already has firmware version 4.00 installed.
I am trying to download the new DF1 firmware with the AB windows firmware download utility (Ver WinMBFWDL-V2.01.00)
The firmware file is called C10TDFX.exe
I am connected to the panelview with the correct cable.
I start to download, the program expands the .exe file then says it will erase the old firmware. At this stage an error occurs (this firmware is incompatible with the hardware) and the process stops.
I have been onto AB support (they are investigating) but no results so far.
A suggestion of theirs to clear the application memory then download the firmware was not successful. With no application the download utility continually asked me to reset the panel view which had no effect at all.

Any help is appreciated.
Regards Alan Case

K and T, A-B's favorite letters

Alan,

I think I see the problem at hand; your PanelView terminal is a 10 inch color Keypad unit, and the firmware file you're trying to download is for a Touchscreen unit.

To update the DF1 firmware from 4.00 to 4.20, you may download the "C10KDFX.exe" file.

If you want to convert this terminal to DH-485(RS232) communications, you should download the "C10KDH4.exe" file.

Good luck,

Eddie

Eddie, thanks for the reply but I wrote the wrong firmware version in my earlier post. I have been trying the C10KDFX.exe version to make sure I could download the "correct" firmware first before trying the DH485 version. It is with the 232 DF1 version that I get the error message. Regards Alan Case

Problem solved. It seems that the application is downloaded through the DF1 port on the PV but a firmware download is done through the printer port. Thanks to all. Regards Alan Case