DH 485 Comm (SLC 5/05-1761 AIC-PV 550-PC)

Microbictomb

I saw another thread similar to my issue but I have different equipment and didn't want to jump on that one so here is mine:

PanelView 600 2711-B6C2 Rev. C Frn. 3.30
SLC 5/05 1747-L551 Ser. B Rev. 4
1761-NET-AIC Ser. B
Windows 7 Pro 32 bit
RSLinx Classic Pro 2.59.02 CPR 9 SR 5

My PC is connected to the AIC module using 1761-CBL-AP00 Ser C
The PV 550 is connected to the AIC using 1761-CBL-AS03 Ser A
And the SLC 5/05 is connected to the AIC using 1747-CP3

External power switch is on with 24VDC external applied to AIC and Auto for baud (tried 19200 as well)

Node address/Baud setting in PV is Node 2, 19200.

In RSLinx I selected RS-232 DF1 devices, Auto configure. SLCCH0/Micro/PanelView is configured and communication works with the processor through the AIC.

Browsing in RSLinx, Node 0(PC) and Node 1(SLC) are found but not the PV. Under Config-Communication in the PV the comm led is flashing and "No active nodes found on network" is displayed.

Now I read somewhere that you have to configure channel 0 in the SLC to DH 485 so I tried that. I lost all communications with the processor completely after I downloaded the change and had to reset it to factory defaults and re-download my program(not a big deal, small ladder and PLC is for testing only). I know I'm missing something here but I just can't see what to do next and would greatly appreciate any assistance.

The ultimate goal is to get communication established over DH 485 in order to work on a PanelView 550 2711-T5A2L1 Ser. A Rev. E Frn. 4.10 which is not functioning properly and I want to see if I can at least get comm's established to possibly download a new PVA application and bypass/remove the current program/password. Since I am unable to get to the config. screen I am using the PV 600 in lieu.

If you want your SLC's serial port to communicate with a PV that supports DH485 protocol then the SLC's serial port must be configured for DH485.

If you want your PC to also communicate with a device configured for DH485 then RSLinx is going to have to use a DH485 driver. If the PC has a real serial port then the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver will work. (maybe)

Your AIC is not a protocol converter, its a interface converter (RS232 to RS485) and an isolator.

Your best bet would be to get a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter)for the PC connection.

Or use a memory card to program your PV.

Last edited:
Here are the available drivers I have currently in RSLinx. If I get the 1747-UIC will I need a different driver still?

*Maybe it's the one that says DH485 UIC devices...

Untitled.jpg

Thank you both, boss will have to purchase the UIC to go forward then it looks like.

Here are the available drivers I have currently in RSLinx. If I get the 1747-UIC will I need a different driver still?

*Maybe it's the one that says DH485 UIC devices...

Sorry to jump in here but the best time to buy it is when you see it.

I have always used "RS232 DF1 Devices" driver with the UIC (at least with my UIC from A.B., haven't tried the other one yet).
It always auto configured fine and would insert DH485 into the Driver Config Title automatically.

:confused: At what point do we need use the "DH485 UIC Devices Driver"?

Just curious for my own knowledge as I have not needed to use it in the past with the UIC.

Thanks in advance for any input.
BCS

Either one will work fine, RSLinx "UIC Devices" and other drivers are not included (or) installed on a 64bit PC, when RSLinx installs the software first detects what the OS is on the PC then installs only whats supported (this is RSLinx about 2.54 and newer) there are a few drivers that will not work so they opt-out of installing them, helps with fewer tech support calls

But both DF1 and UIC devices work great and I have not see a issue with using either one, the only parameter to set in the UIC is node and COM, so its easier to setup for most people

This may have changed with newer RSLinx but thats how it was