MicroLogix 1100 discontinued

I hate to say this - but without the Micrologix line, the next best option is Automation Direct or Siemens....

The ONLY bad thing about the AD line.... I bought them out of just about all the products I am using, I have a large project that I am working on and bought all the CLICK PLCs and sensors until next year, 240 PLC's and sensors should not flush out my supplier

Agree 100%. TIA portal is definitely a step down from RSL500.

I think this argument will fall into more of a young vs old than AB vs Siemens, though.

V17 is good... but just like any software if you did not cut your teeth on it, they all take some getting use to, I sell the Basic for 500 and the TIA Pro 2,600, V10 was bad but 17 is good

Still going miss the 1100's, its like saying good bye to an old friend :)

Agree 100%. TIA portal is definitely a step down from RSL500.

I think this argument will fall into more of a young vs old than AB vs Siemens, though.

Agree. I am 65, with not a lot of experience with either brand, but a fair bit of experience in IDEs.

Portal is like how I used to design UIs: throw all the cruft out there and force for the users to get accustomed to where everything is, instead of making the stuff they use 95% of the time be really smooth. I get it, as coders it's hard for the portal devs to know what's important.

And probably the only reason the Rockwell coders got it right (or at least better) was that there was a lot less other stuff to bother with; I think we can see that even in the progression from 500 to 5000, which just seems clunky to me.

CCW is just so horrible though; did they get that tech by buying out another company?

did they get that tech by buying out another company?

I heard (read) that RA bought the software from someone and started using it for the 800's, I dont know if thats true but maybe and that would explain why it was so bad, I still think its getting better with every version :rolleyes:

I tried searching but did not find it.

I haven't used a MicroLogix on a new project for around 5 years now. And I've never used the Micro 800's.

Not to say that there are no applications where it might be a good fit, but in the projects I get involved in, the engineering savings gained by using an entry level 5370 Compact Logix immediately wipe out any hardware savings on using a MicroLogix, and it's been that way for a while.

Generally for me, simple projects get a Click Koyo. If it's too complex for a Click, or if the Click needs more than one (or at most two) expansion I/O modules, it's cheaper to throw a 1769-L16ER at it and recoup the hardware cost on engineering hours.

I noted above that 1747-L551 is the be discontinued in December, does anyone have any clues as to the projected end date for the 32k & 64k versions also?

I can’t believe they’ve not discontinued all the 5/03 range yet either.

Anyone know if there’s a controllogix replacement on the horizon?

Andy

They just still say 'Active Mature' but I would guess it can be that far off

I wonder if the 'chip shortage' had anything to do with that... since they are running out just kill it now? I think they must have a large surplus of the 5/03's but once they are gone then they will be discontinued.

andy_1983 said:
Anyone know if there’s a controllogix replacement on the horizon?

I think the 800 series is replacing the ControlLogix :D

If they come out with a Click Plus with integral LCD, A/D will have successfully acquired all my small RTU panel business away from the 1400. Next, If I could sit down the the Click Software engineers and show them all the things RSLogix 5/500 can do that runs circles around their freeware and convince them to copycat that functionality...

A/D also should go after the high end. I am impressed with the Do-More hardware and software. They need a migration path for the 450 series hardware and they should come up with a "Cadillac" new system with true high speed and performance hardware with conformal coating, multiple languages, user defined structures and functions, etc. I know that it requires massive manpower to plan, design and mobilize something like that, but they are not your grandad's PLCDirect any more.

The Psuite stuff is not great. There are peeves of mine that will prevent me from using them ever again. Array elements and bits number DO NOT START WITH "1" THEY START WITH "0" ALWAYS AND FOREVER!!! And I don't need non-retentive values, initial values, force values, and otherwise undeterminable values for my control systems. If you can't make everything retentive, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited: