PLC5 and PanelView

booten

Lifetime Supporting Member
First, My customer wants me to make a change to his Panelview and PLC program.

Second, I have a pump that is not starting when it is supposed to (a different pump is starting).

I think I can handle both of these problems if i can understand how the PLC5 program (using RSLogix5) and the Panelview are addressing or communicating with each other.

As for my second problem, I need O:034/10 to come on when I choose the PET2 process in the CIP Panelview but I do not know how it is being controlled.

I have found the control for it in LAD 13 Rung 59 with a BTD by distributing the binary data to the outputs but I do not know how to manipulate this data to select a different pump.

I need to make O:034/10 true (the number 1024 in B346:0 would do this) but how is this being done with the Panelview.

Any help would be much appreciated and any additional info needed would be gladly sent. I have done various searches through this site and have also read the panelview manual but I still am confused about the addressing issue. I think if it were one Panelview and one PLC I would be able to understand more but with the multiple Panelviews and PLCs it gets confusing quickly.

Here is how the network is setup:
[attachment]

More info following.

Thanks, Bill

cip.jpg

0000 0000 0000 0000
xxxx x100 0000 0000
|
1024 in decimal is equal to octal bit 10 in output data table ((Note it would be equal bit 12 in BCD)) . also equal to actual out put address O:XXX/12 , there for, in your PanelView file BTW to PLC will turn on the out put O:XXX/12, instead O:XXX/10. you may try use the decil number in paneview 256 which equal to O:XXX/10.

Panelview is use BTR, Read data from PLC and display on Panelview, such temperature, pressure in decimal format,and Uses BTW takks numeric input from Panelview write into PLC's Data file.

Question ?? The panelview PET 2 . is it a motor slection list that scroll up and down to let you pick up the motor and start?

if the answer is yes, the motor selection list have a PLC data buffer address attached to it,

As the cursor at the top, it will trun on the bit B346:0/0 to "1".

In ordor to turn on output O:34/10 you need to program the decimal number 256, or make sure the motor selection list have the length up to the the bit of 12 or greater.

Last edited:
How are you tieing DH+ into that 8 slot rack?

It says RIO on it. I'm assuming that it is a PLC5 rack with an ASB module and it's a slave rack to the 5/40 processor.

If this is the case, then you need RIO (not DH+) to it.
Unless you add some other provision for DH+ there, I don't see that you have the hardware for it at that location.

Last edited:
Like jimbo says, its gotta be RIO not DH+. You could state the exact type numbers of the batch panelview and the CIP panelview - 2711-KC1 is a little bit too short.

The IO configuration table in the RSLogix program is empty. That makes it harder to troubleshoot. If you have a backup with a filled in IO configuration table, then it would be better.
And, do you have the PanelBuilder files for the batch and CIP panelviews ?

If you can find both, then I will offer to try and figure out how the panelviews communicate with your PLC.
How the program works, you must figure out yourself.

PanelView and RIO - eek. Not my favourite combination meal.

I've worked with quite a few RIO PanelViews.

It's kind of an acquired taste, but it's really not that difficult once you have a basic strategy in place.

Anyway, if you post the progs I'll be happy to check them out as well.

Look Up...

Wow! What a program. Excellent documentation. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the panelview part number is correct (it's a PV 1200 guys) and they only come in a RIO flavor, so both of them are on the RIO network.

Looking in the channel configuration channel 1B is configured as a RIO scanner scanning racks 2-5. By the looks of the BTR files, the panelviews are rack 2 and rack 4. The 8 slot chassis is rack 3. I don't know what rack 5 is though. Your drawing is kinda inaccurate in this sense.

To look at the panelview .cfg file you require the 2711-ND1 software (or possibly the 2711e software if it can import the file) which I don't have so I'm going only from the PLC program.

For the pump, look at the rungs prior to 13:59. There is a bunch of indirect addressing going on that affects the manipulation of the bit field in the BTD; specifically rung 55. The ON and OFF force values look to be set from N340:28/6 and N341:28/6 respectively.

That's about as far as I've gotten. It looks like the programmer is transferring the panelview input data (see file 17)to integer files and using those integer files to start stop motors.

My brain hurts...

Well, I have to go back on that offer I made before.
I dont have that particular software either. :confused:

looks like quite a hatfull there.
Isn't the original programmer available anymore ?

Thanks Guys

This system was running when I noted all the components. I will have to wait for a down day if you need more specific info.

jimbo, It may be RIO (I don't know), it is connected through blue hose. All the lines I have drawn represent a blue hose except for the Belden going to the PC from the SLC.

Jesper, It is the only copy I have. It think was originally converted from A.I. Series software. I will take the time to figure out the program once I can get the communication part out of the way. Below is the PV program and .cfg files.

grs, I know what you mean about documentation (BTW, I did not write the program). On the CIP PanelView program it list it as being rack 2 & 5.

Here is the PDS program.
[attachment]

Thank again
Bill

The PDS programming software is too big for a post. If you email me I will sent it to you directly.

Here is the .cfg files:
[attachment]

Bill
[email protected]

Last edited:
How do you select the 'PET2' process? Is it on the display to select the circuits? I can only see the 'PET process equipment' selection there.

If this is the control list selector used, notice the address range it uses. It writes the value that is given in the different states to the address range I:022/00-I:022/07. Do a cross reference on these addresses and you will find out what is happening to the data.

Where exactly are you stuck?

grs, Im sorry, it is the 'PET process equipment'.

I have thoroughly reverse engineered the PanelView program and have a complete list of the internal I/O that each screen buttons and list selections are writing to. But, I do not see where it is being transfered the the PLC5.

ex:
When I do a search for I:022/00 in the RSLogix 5 program it tells me that the file cannot be found.

[attachment]

Thanks
Bill

cip2.jpg

That's one of the problems with RSLogix. The search function doesn't find everything and will miss indirect addressing and, in this case, element addressing when you search for a sub-element. That's why I use the cross reference instead. Right click I:022/00 and select cross reference and you'll see that it is used in the BTD instruction in 19:1.