You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old May 24th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1
TConnolly
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

OT: The funniest translation you've ever seen.

On another thread a poor translation was cited, but rather than derail that thread I'm starting antoher. Most all of us have dealt with technical translations from one language to the next that just didn't come out quite right, and I'm sure that Engligh to whatever translations are no exception.

What is the funniest/strangest translation you have ever encountered?

We had a Taiwanese made lathe many years ago. The first sentence in the manual read:
"We hope this machine sincerely reaches up your needed."
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Leadfoot
United States

When I was starting up a system in a Japanese ship yard back in '86, they had their interconnects to my system labeled as connecting to "LOSS HIRR CONTROLS". The company I worked for was "ROSS HILL CONTROLS". The shipyard's head electrical engineer told me that the Japanese have problems with the english letters "L and R". He also said there is NOT a sound for them in Japanese and they tend to cross them that way.
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #3
akreel
United States

I still like Eric's error message: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpos...32&postcount=7

Original thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=106
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair. -- Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Last edited by akreel; May 24th, 2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #4
panic mode
Canada

I've been living and working in different coutries.
Some ten years ago in Stuttgart, Germany, (Mercedes plants in Untertuerkheim)
I've seen large signs on every corner explaining hazards (flammable, toxic, corrosive,...).
Signs ware in some six languages (German, Polish, Turkish, Serbo-Croat...) and about 4x2 feet.
Translation for corrosive in SerboCroat was "Drazesno..." which means charming or cute...
One would definitelly not use this type of word to describe corrosive or etching action
of acids or other chemicals on unprotected skin. (proper word would be "nagrizajuce...")
I was pointing that out to couple of other people and everyone was just laughing,
they said they liked it that way (safety first?). The harshest form of that word we
could come up with was "nadrazujuce" which could mean irritating, but depending on use
it could also mean annoying or even arousing. I'm curious if it's still the same...
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #5
paraffin power
England

I had an alarm listing translated, and "Clutch tripped" came back as "Clutch gone on holiday"
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #6
Money4Nothing
United States

Someone set us up the bomb!

$
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #7
MikeW
United States

Manual Confusion

Late '70s YEW 2505 power meter manual had the meter's wiring schematic labeled with the input as "Line" and the output as "Lord". The same manual had a BCD connector pin label for the output numeric value's "Sign",e.g +/-, as "Sine".
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #8
jdkasper
United States

The only one I've seen so far came up on a Mitsubishi MAC-40 on a machine from Germany.

Batterie is over, it has to be changed
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum