Twincat3 rant

goghie

Lifetime Supporting Member
Today I had first time experience to troubleshoot Twincat3 project, that has motion control and is semi complicated and it was project not done by me. I had some previous experience with Twincat2, but as it is Codesys 2.3 it was easy for me. I heard lot of good things about Twincat3 and I expected a really good things but...
Some problems:
1. Speed on i5 with 32GB RAM and SSD is catastrophic.
2. I understand it is Visual Studio, but you need to have possibility to adapt layout so it is easy to use it on 15" screen as most of the time we are outside of office and we can't use other screen than one on our notebook.
3. Watch window is just bad, and you need to much moves/clicks to do forcing. Maybe I didn't know, but for example I tried to force in watch window bits in %IW, %IB, %QB and %QW and it was without success.
4. Cross-referencing is much worse comparing to GxWorks3 and Codesys or even some older programming environments..
5.When you are online there are to much hiccups.
6. It is far from plug and play. We wanted to change the PLC with new one that is exactly same configuration, but completely new, from the box. Boy, to many steps we had to do.
7. IEC61131-3 is base that you can expand, but you can not change in any way.
There are other things also, but it could be that my unfamiliarity with Twincat3 is reason for that.
Maybe to much previous marketing is reason why I was disappointed - just don't know.

Today I had first time experience to troubleshoot Twincat3 project, that has motion control and is semi complicated and it was project not done by me. I had some previous experience with Twincat2, but as it is Codesys 2.3 it was easy for me. I heard lot of good things about Twincat3 and I expected a really good things but...
Some problems:
2. I understand it is Visual Studio, but you need to have possibility to adapt layout so it is easy to use it on 15" screen as most of the time we are outside of office and we can't use other screen than one on our notebook.
3. Watch window is just bad, and you need to much moves/clicks to do forcing. Maybe I didn't know, but for example I tried to force in watch window bits in %IW, %IB, %QB and %QW and it was without success.
4. Cross-referencing is much worse comparing to GxWorks3 and Codesys or even some older programming environments..
5.When you are online there are to much hiccups.
6. It is far from plug and play. We wanted to change the PLC with new one that is exactly same configuration, but completely new, from the box. Boy, to many steps we had to do.
7. IEC61131-3 is base that you can expand, but you can not change in any way.
There are other things also, but it could be that my unfamiliarity with Twincat3 is reason for that.
Maybe to much previous marketing is reason why I was disappointed - just don't know.

I have been working with twincat 3 and codesys for a few months not and the lack of support is a problem. I have many time thought to myself the same thing, is it a crappy software or is me who lacks the know how. There are many things that I just gave up trying to do and just found a way around because I couldn't get an answer. They make other crappy software look good with their lack of resources.

Here's a bit of criticism with a mention of PLCTALK.net

I may not be understanding your problem very well. I am curious: Are you running the engineering environment directly on the PLC? I have a Beckoff PLC with CFast card of only 8 GB. It is not possible to install the engineering environment which of course includes the MS development environment. So I only have installed the runtime environmen and I do all the programming on desktop and connect the engineering environment through the so-called ADS interface. When monitoring the PLC with the TwinCAT engineering tool the performance is like when using Logix 5K, or TIA or Codesys, even though it is a Windows 7 Embedded PLC with 8 Gb. I am surprised by your problem description, so wanted to confirm.

No it is installed on client's company laptop (Win10). For example, if I switch off power supply and I didn't do logout/offline Twincat3 gets stuck for few minutes. Other example is when I resize and move watch window during online it often gets stuck for cca 5s, and on 15" screen I need often to move and resize in order to see code/do troubleshooting. I thought it is up to that specific laptop, but clients stuff informed me that it is the same thing on all other computers with Twincat3 installed and that they are quite frustrated.