Panel View tag change from PLC5 to Logix 5000

Mikemator

Hi All.

I have been tasked with the HMI aspect of a PLC 5 to Logix 5000 upgrade.

The plc code has been completed by others, it's up to me to handle the HMI.

HMI is a PV1000, we are using FT view Studio V5.10.
The HMI communicates with two PLC5's, only one is being upgraded for now.

Does anybody have any suggestions for modifying or mapping the old tags to the new.

Thanks in advance for any help.

here is what I do:
1. Export the database to csv.
2. Open with Excel and sort by address.
3. Copy that whole column to a new sheet in column A.
4. In column B make a string left to get everything before and including the ].
5. In Column C make a string right to get everything after the ].
6. Copy Column C to column D pasting text only. You now have a column with the addresses.
7. I have a macro to convert PLC 5/500 addresses to ConpactLogix addresses but you can use search and replace too. For example N40:10/5 to make it N40[10].5 replace : with [ and replace / with ]. For PLC5 it gets trickier if they are reading IO directly, because of the octal to decimal on the bit addressing.

Now if the PLC programmer did the conversion creating alias tags for the PLC symbols, as long as the HMI used the symbol for the tag then it's just a matter of copying the tagname to the address field with the ::[name] in front of it.
8. In column E make it = column B & column D.
9. Copy the column D back into the address of the first sheet and save as csv. Also save as Excel for later use.

Last edited:
Wow, thank you for the very detailed response!
Much appreciated, I will try it and post a reply with the results when done, thanks again.

A couple things
First what is the communications connection between the PLC and the Panel PV1000
some of the those use remote IO with the PLC5's i find those are very difficult to convert
you may be better off upgrading the PV as well
as for the tag it would depend a lot on how the plc program was converted from PL5 to Logix The plc 5 uses data table address in the conversion those addresses are converted to tags of the name data table address N25:5 would be converted to something like tag N25_5 as data type INT
Some conversion will use the symbol if it's been assigned or available remember in PLC5's the symbol the symbols and descriptions are not stored in the PLC so if you upload the program they are not available.

Thanks for your post GaryS.

Fortunately the HMI to plc 5 comms are ethernet based. Thankfully the plc 5 program was well commented, as for the rest, I will find out when I start.