WinCC Icons

Tomo453

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, I have experienced some strange behavior from an automation line with WinCC based HMIs. A sequence would not progress until I basically forced it, and loss of manual control of lifting tables when all conditions at the HMI were "go". We are running WinCC v7.2. Whenever I have looked at the profinet topology, there are no faulted modules, and the comms status is good for all connected systems. There are some icons superimposed on some condition boxes, and there are warning symbols on my fault reset buttons on the HMI. I have posted them here. I have read much of the programming manual for the WinCC but have yet to come across any descriptions of these icons. Thanks in advance for any insights.

WinCC_Icons1.PNG WinCC_Icons2.PNG

Last edited:
On some objects you can enable to display the variable status. If the variable status is bad (e.g. PLC not reachable or addressing error), then you'll see the object greyed oout with an exclamation mark (see screenshot for example).

But the style is only available on some object types like IO-Fields, bargraphs, and some more. But from what I know it's always also greyed out, and that's missing in your screenshots.

I think you have some custom made project specific symbols, and not something which is WinCC standard. You'll have to check the project specific documentation, or take a look at the WinCC project in the WinCC graphics designer.

wincc-variablestatus-bad.jpg

On some objects you can enable to display the variable status. If the variable status is bad (e.g. PLC not reachable or addressing error), then you'll see the object greyed oout with an exclamation mark (see screenshot for example).

But the style is only available on some object types like IO-Fields, bargraphs, and some more. But from what I know it's always also greyed out, and that's missing in your screenshots.

I think you have some custom made project specific symbols, and not something which is WinCC standard. You'll have to check the project specific documentation, or take a look at the WinCC project in the WinCC graphics designer.

Thank you Thomas. After going over most of the documentation available to me, I agree with your assessment. I am currently limited by the production schedule. If we are lucky there will be no other functional issue with the line until the schedule allows me some troubleshooting time. I have copied off the WinCC diagnose logs as well. I am going through them now, and I have contacted the machine builder.