Running two ME HMI same computer

40mpg

Hello,

I have two HMI application that is referencing the same PLC, a remote and a local screen.

I am using Studio 5000 Emulate to do testing on the same workstation. As I see it, Factory Talk ME will not allow me to launch two HMI app

Is there a way for people to test two HMI app at the same time on same workstation?

What if I load the second HMI on another machine and hook that machine up on the same network as the first HMI?

I have access to everything Rockwell, all license

You can open a second instance of Studio on the same PC. Open your first application, then go back to your Windows Start and launch a second copy of Studio. I suspect you cannot open the same application in both instances.

I also suspect you cannot use Test Application on both at the same time. Test Display should work though.

If you go the route of two computers, then you have an issue with Emulate. It does not support Ethernet/IP, so your other machine won't be able to see it. This can work but it will require you to create an OPC Topic in the local computer. You would do this in RSLinx (cannot do this in RSLinx Lite) and point to the Emulate controller. Then in the remote application you will need to add an OPC Server in FT View ME application to use RSLinx. That should allow the remote computer to point to the local PC and the Emulate controller.

OG

EDIT: To fulfill my own curiosity I had to check, it will let you open the same project in two separate instances. It will not let you Test Application in each instance. You can only have one "runtime" at a time.

Last edited:
It does not support Ethernet, so your other machine won't be able to see it.

Are you sure? I have been using Emulate with Ignition for quite some time. I use the native Ignition +v21 Logix driver, not OPC and don't use Linx. Emulate must be on a box with Windows 10, Windows 7 doesn't work for some reason. Use the IP address of the box hosting Emulate for the PLC IP. I was very surprised to see that it worked, but it does.

It would be interesting to test. Funny how Ignition would work but not FTView.

Emulate does not have an Ethernet module in its virtual chassis. A similar product called SoftLogix did allow for a virtual Ethernet module. That module allowed the virtual chassis to be accessible and discoverable over an EtherNet/IP network. It even allowed SoftLogix to control real I/O using EtherNet/IP. It was a Soft PLC. Emulate was a stripped-down version of SoftLogix designed to prevent it from controlling real I/O by removing support for EtherNet/IP, ControlNet, and DeviceNet virtual modules.

As mentioned, RSLinx does support an OPC method to make this information available over Ethernet (not EIP). So, it isn't "prevented" from using Ethernet. It just doesn't natively support it.

I'm not familiar with Ignition drivers, but I suspect they are doing something similar to what RSLinx does with their OPC connection.

OG

EDIT: I corrected my previous post to say it does not support EtherNet/IP.

Last edited:
Emulate does not have an Ethernet module in its virtual chassis. A similar product called SoftLogix did allow for a virtual Ethernet module. That module allowed the virtual chassis to be accessible and discoverable over an EtherNet/IP network. It even allowed SoftLogix to control real I/O using EtherNet/IP. It was a Soft PLC. Emulate was a stripped-down version of SoftLogix designed to prevent it from controlling real I/O by removing support for EtherNet/IP, ControlNet, and DeviceNet virtual modules.

As mentioned, RSLinx does support an OPC method to make this information available over Ethernet (not EIP). So, it isn't "prevented" from using Ethernet. It just doesn't natively support it.

I'm not familiar with Ignition drivers, but I suspect they are doing something similar to what RSLinx does with their OPC connection.

OG

EDIT: I corrected my previous post to say it does not support EtherNet/IP.

Well I just tested, two images one 10.0.0.33 and the other 10.0.0.34. Emulate was running in 10.0.0.33, FTView ME was running in 10.0.0.34. Both Ignition and FTView worked, I could even use the tag browser. Not sure what to tell you. :)

1.png