How the #$@# do I do this???

Bytesize

Im trying to find the pin out to make our own cable that will connect the Magelis XBTGT 2220 to a Micrologix 1500 using the 8way DIN connection on the front of the PLC. Does anyone have any resources that can supply me this information?

Thanks in advance...

What protocol are you talking?

It makes a big difference.

Also my dealings with Magelis terminals has taught me there are 20 gazillion different cables depending what you are trying to do......

I doubt you will find the exact connector you need, so buy a cable from A/B, A/D, or MrPlc.

Then make an adapter or modify it to suit your needs, using Mickey's pinout as a guide...

Last edited:
I was always told from AB that the 8 pin minidin is a propriatary connector...

I guess if you buy a low end display you have to expect incomplete accessories...

Magic 8 Ball said:
I was always told from AB that the 8 pin minidin is a propriatary connector...

I guess if you buy a low end display you have to expect incomplete accessories...

'Low End' ?

Magelis is made by Digital Electronics (known to most people as 'Xycom') ,sold on to Schneider and theyre ANYTHING but low end.

As for the 8-pin, as suggested buy an AB cable and fool around with the DB9 end. I think the Magelis may be a little choosy about how it connects though. The one I did used the DB25 port and some fancy converters. It came with 4 or 5 different interface cables and a couple of dongles.

I guess I wasnt being clear enough in my previous post.

Magelis XBT-GT terminals are re-badged Xycoms.
They are built in JAPAN by a company called DIGITAL ELECTRONICS.
They also provide terminals to GE who re-badge them as 'Quickpanels'. They are also sold through Pro-Face America under the original Xycom brand name.

I have used Quickpanels, Xycoms AND Magelis GT terminals and they are identical. The software is also pretty much identical except Xycom kept some of the better features and more more drivers for their OEM offering.

So to sum up, NO they are not low end, they are not French and they work just fine.

I would not consider Magelis "low end" either. If you have not used nor deal with certain products then should not comment. The problem I have, which is rare, is finding out if the Magelis still supports DF1. If it does it may be easier just to use the 9 pin port on the 1500 and get an AB cable for programming to connect to the MiniDin port.

SLC_Integrator said:
What protocol are you talking?

It makes a big difference.

Also my dealings with Magelis terminals has taught me there are 20 gazillion different cables depending what you are trying to do......

We can use DF1 or DH485 I have to make my own cable using the pin out of Magelis to Micrologix 1500 8way DIN.

SLC_Integrator said:
I guess I wasnt being clear enough in my previous post.

Magelis XBT-GT terminals are re-badged Xycoms.
They are built in JAPAN by a company called DIGITAL ELECTRONICS.
They also provide terminals to GE who re-badge them as 'Quickpanels'. They are also sold through Pro-Face America under the original Xycom brand name.

I have used Quickpanels, Xycoms AND Magelis GT terminals and they are identical. The software is also pretty much identical except Xycom kept some of the better features and more more drivers for their OEM offering.

So to sum up, NO they are not low end, they are not French and they work just fine.

PALATINE, Ill.- October 6, 2006 - Schneider Electric introduces the latest generation of flexible Telemecanique® brand Magelis® HMI products, including the Magelis Smart iPC, Magelis Compact iPC and Magelis XBT-GT graphical touchscreen terminals

French name French company http://www.telemecanique.com/fr/index.htm

ANd I am intimately aware of Quickpanels having worked for the company that was buying and repackaging them before GE bought them out.

There is always a market for a Cadillac and a Vespa.

I dont want to try to slam any particular brand... but you have to admit customers get into the "cheapest i can buy" syndrome as opposed to what if I want to add xxx in the future and their minimum featured unit wont support it...shrug

I've also bought cheap units with minimal documentation... I dont anymore... (walmart anything) etc

Theres a big enough market for everyone.

I just know what I have to help customers with and what I have built in the past and what I have tried to assemble on christmass eve night from a half page of korean instructions.

And some people Collect Vespa's heh

Last edited:
Bytesize said:
We can use DF1 or DH485 I have to make my own cable using the pin out of Magelis to Micrologix 1500 8way DIN.

It may be easier overall just use the 9 pin and obtain the AB 8 pin to use for programming.

If the Magelis has a standard 25 or 9 pin port then you could obtain a 1761 CBL PM02
http://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Bradley-Micrologix-1000-1500-Cable-1761-CBL-PM02_W0QQitemZ320165229054QQihZ011QQcategoryZ97184QQcmdZViewItem

The 8 pin connectors AB does not sell separately but it has been determined that MAC (computer) 8 pins may work but if permanent not sure I would go this route.

Anyway you could get the PM02 and convert it to work as needed.

rsdoran said:
It may be easier overall just use the 9 pin and obtain the AB 8 pin to use for programming.

If the Magelis has a standard 25 or 9 pin port then you could obtain a 1761 CBL PM02
http://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Bradley-Micrologix-1000-1500-Cable-1761-CBL-PM02_W0QQitemZ320165229054QQihZ011QQcategoryZ97184QQcmdZViewItem

The 8 pin connectors AB does not sell separately but it has been determined that MAC (computer) 8 pins may work but if permanent not sure I would go this route.

Anyway you could get the PM02 and convert it to work as needed.

I wish I could use the 9Pin for com port 1 but that is being used by our modem. The

I have a 1761-CBL cable and the suggestion is to buy a printer cable 8DIN..cut it in half connect it to the 1761-CBL according to the pin out I have from Magelis and Allen-Bradley….then have a local company build us the cables.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom