How the #$@# do I do this???

the computer chip enchants me and piques my interest... what did they leave out of the com port on the hmi? driver hardware?? sufficient current capacity??? makes ya wonder sometimes.

rsdoran said:
Either channel on this ML is capable of DF1, may try using one of AB's port splitters. I have no idea what effect it may have when the modem is in use tho.

That would work but we need to connect to the 8way DIN because our modem is connected to com port 1

Magic 8 Ball said:
the computer chip enchants me and piques my interest... what did they leave out of the com port on the hmi? driver hardware?? sufficient current capacity??? makes ya wonder sometimes.

I believe its the hand shake. Ill find out more and post it ASAP.

Bytesize said:
That would work but we need to connect to the 8way DIN because our modem is connected to com port 1

That was what I was refering too, using the port splitter for com 1 to share it between the modem and HMI, just not sure what effect it may have.

rsdoran said:
That was what I was refering too, using the port splitter for com 1 to share it between the modem and HMI, just not sure what effect it may have.

Hmmm I dunno...I’m very new to all this and attempting to navigate my way through non standardized muck.

The 1747-DPS1 RS-232/DF1 port
splitter allows a single RS-232/DF1 port
on a Rockwell Automation controller
(e.g. SLC™ 500, MicroLogix™, PLC-5®,
ControlLogix®, CompactLogix™) to be
expanded (or split) for communication
with two external devices at the
same time.
From a single DF1 port, the splitter
creates one full-function port for twoway
communication between the
controller and a local network. The
second port is respond-only and is
primarily designed to run a programming
terminal or human machine interface
(HMI). Both the initiate/respond, and
respond-only

the one full function, and one not, may be an *** biter...

diagram on 1747_pp018A doesnt show a modem at all.

Magic 8 Ball said:
The 1747-DPS1 RS-232/DF1 port

splitter allows a single RS-232/DF1 port​

on a Rockwell Automation controller​

(e.g. SLC™ 500, MicroLogix™, PLC-5®,​

ControlLogix®, CompactLogix™) to be​

expanded (or split) for communication​

with two external devices at the​

same time.​

From a single DF1 port, the splitter​

creates one full-function port for twoway​

communication between the​

controller and a local network. The​

second port is respond-only and is​

primarily designed to run a programming​

terminal or human machine interface​

(HMI). Both the initiate/respond, and​

respond-only

the one full function, and one not, may be an *** biter...

diagram on 1747_pp018A doesnt show a modem at all.

That may work but our modem sends data every 15 min during operation....plus our panel view displays real time data so im not sure but that sounds like a congested highway.

Looks to me like 3 choices.

Talk to AB and see if you can use the mini din port with a modem. I have done this so know it is possible but been awhile.

Buy the cable(s), if available, from the HMI manufacturer.

Get another HMI that offers a cable to connect to the 8 pin port that is available now.

One other option is to buy a NET-ENI and convert the 8 pin mini port to ethernet.

That way you can let the HMI talk Ethernet (no fancy cables required) and still be able to plug in to configure while leaving com 1 and the modem well alone.

This is assuming the Magelis has an ethernet port of course.
I just went this route with a Xycom and it worked a treat.

I would simply buy a 1761-PM02 and fabricate a cable to go from the DB9 end to whatever your HMI requires...No need to cut and splice anything...

The Net-ENI module is a good device too in my experience, and the splitter looks like it's worth a try too, but I have not used it...

If you look at the cable wiring given for the PM02 it does not show true serial type wiring, know if it has all of the 8 pins wired? I can not remember but it does not show either 2 or 3 connected. The picture is on this thread.

If you know your pinout..(by reading this thread, that would be NO) we can make you one.

The one that Ron link to on Ebay is mine, I sold it..., but we can make you a custom cable if needed, we do it all the time.

Send me a PM if interested.

RSDoran said:
know if it has all of the 8 pins wired?

4 and 6 are jumped and 9 on the dbf is NOT terminated, 1 and 8 on the DIN are not landed

OkiePC said:
So, GIT, do you have access to the 8 pin connector that fits?

Hi Paul,

We use a standard din and modify it... they fit very well, some use just a standard and they will fit but, you have to force them. The one thats hard to get is the 90deg version, ours and most others are straight, so like on a SLC you have to keep the small door open (not a big deal)

Back
Top Bottom