How the #$@# do I do this???

WAITTTTTT, please. Does the Magelis have a 25 pin port that supports RS232C (DF1) if so all you would need to use with the PM02 is a 9 pin to 25 pin adapter, this you can get from Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walmart, etc.,etc.

RS232C confirms the wiring will be the same for all devices, the only issue (for me) was if the Magelis used the DF1 protocol.

The issue is when connecting DTE to DTE, DCE to DCE or DTE to DCE. When both devices are DTE (or DCE) a null modem cable is used, plcs, computers,and usually HMI's are DTE devices. A null modem cable basically swaps the wires from pins 2&3.

A DTE to DCE device uses a straight cable, where the wire from pin 2 to pin 2 and pin 3 to pin 3.
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/rs232c.html

Since you state you have a PM02 I can see several options without making anything unless you just want too.

What is the connector on the Magelis?

rsdoran said:
WAITTTTTT, please. Does the Magelis have a 25 pin port that supports RS232C (DF1) if so all you would need to use with the PM02 is a 9 pin to 25 pin adapter, this you can get from Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walmart, etc.,etc.

RS232C confirms the wiring will be the same for all devices, the only issue (for me) was if the Magelis used the DF1 protocol.

The issue is when connecting DTE to DTE, DCE to DCE or DTE to DCE. When both devices are DTE (or DCE) a null modem cable is used, plcs, computers,and usually HMI's are DTE devices. A null modem cable basically swaps the wires from pins 2&3.

A DTE to DCE device uses a straight cable, where the wire from pin 2 to pin 2 and pin 3 to pin 3.
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/rs232c.html

Since you state you have a PM02 I can see several options without making anything unless you just want too.

What is the connector on the Magelis?

Its a 9 pin which they tell me that I need a 9 to 25 pin adapter then another cable that they have to go 8DIN (micrologix 1500 com 0 )

This is what tech support sent me today.....
For the Magelis XBTGT2220 to a MicroLogix 1500 and DH485,

the following cable and adaptor are needed:

Cable - XBTZ 9732 and adaptor XBTZG 909.

I would stick with what they told you.

As I said when I used a Magelis it came with a big bag of assorted cables/connectors/adaptors and I looked up the combination to use.
Mine was 25 pin to 9 pin converter then 25 pin to the weird round plug cable. The Premium processor had a similar socket to the one you see on a MLX so it might even be the same cable I used. It worked like a dream right off the bat.

Bytesize said:
Its a 9 pin which they tell me that I need a 9 to 25 pin adapter then another cable that they have to go 8DIN (micrologix 1500 com 0 )

My PM02 is 9 pin, similar to the one I linked to on ebay. It should work to connect the plc to the Magelis.

Port 2 is 8 pin mini din, the 1762-CBL-PM02
abpm02.jpg

I think I get it, what you may need from this cable is a null modem adapter/cable to connect the 2 devices.

Last edited:
SLC_Integrator said:
I would stick with what they told you.

As I said when I used a Magelis it came with a big bag of assorted cables/connectors/adaptors and I looked up the combination to use.
Mine was 25 pin to 9 pin converter then 25 pin to the weird round plug cable. The Premium processor had a similar socket to the one you see on a MLX so it might even be the same cable I used. It worked like a dream right off the bat.

Damn all I received was a rs232 cable.

rsdoran said:
My PM02 is 9 pin, similar to the one I linked to on ebay. It should work to connect the plc to the Magelis.

Port 2 is 8 pin mini din, the 1762-CBL-PM02
abpm02.jpg

I think I get it, what you may need from this cable is a null modem adapter/cable to connect the 2 devices.

SLC may be right, may be best to just order their cables. I have no idea if the AB cables have wires connected to all pins, you could always go the ebay route and get one cheap and cut it to find out.

Schneider Electric is the parent company. Schneider Electric bought Digital Electronics/Proface/Xycom. Telemecanique is the BRAND name used worldwide for Schneider's automation equipment and non-NEMA control products. Magelis is the family name for all operator interfaces that carry the Telemecanique brand. For the most part all Magelis part numbers begin with XBT, it is the 4th digit that identifies the device type/series/model.

Some portions of the Magelis family are made in France (i.e. the lowest end non-graphical devices like the XBTN). Some portions are "brand labeled" from their sister companies (i.e. the high end touch screen units like the XBTG). This means that pin outs and communication options may not be identical on every single item that carries the Magelis family name.

Bytesize said:

This is what tech support sent me today.....
For the Magelis XBTGT2220 to a MicroLogix 1500 and DH485,

the following cable and adaptor are needed:

Cable - XBTZ 9732 and adaptor XBTZG 909.

Was this Schneider support (telemec) or AB?
In UK I am getting nowhere with telemec support trying to connect the same HMI to a micrologix 1000!!!!

Boss will be asking questions soon:mad:

Have you an email for telemec support on your side of the pond?

Cheers

Marc said:
Tell me this thing is u/l listed, recognized! Please!
Marc

Would not matter really, still have the original problem, a cable to connect to the ML that would connect to this.

timbo_uk said:
Was this Schneider support (telemec) or AB?
In UK I am getting nowhere with telemec support trying to connect the same HMI to a micrologix 1000!!!!

Boss will be asking questions soon:mad:

Have you an email for telemec support on your side of the pond?

Cheers
Supposedly connecting the pin outs that I received from Megelis and Micrologix will not work….I was told that there is a computer chip that has to be inserted into the cable. Well these cables are made in France and they are 20+ days out and we needed them two weeks ago.

Either channel on this ML is capable of DF1, may try using one of AB's port splitters. I have no idea what effect it may have when the modem is in use tho.

Back
Top Bottom