Devicenet pass through driver

Jayp

Hi. I want to configure a pass through driver for devicenet with a slc 5/03 and devicenet scanner. I only have one node so I thought this would be the easiest. Does anyone know where I can get a guide or tutorial on how to do this? Thanks

I am going off memory been 6 months at least. Open Linx create a new driver look about half wat down the list for a Devicenet listing. When it opens there should be 3 or so option PCMCIA, 1747 pass-thru, 1771 pass-thru maybe more it just depend on which version of Linx you have. Select 1747 pass thru then it will ask for the path to the processor. I did this with a 5/05 not sure about the 5/03. I did a DF1 pass thru that had to be enabled but that was several years ago as well.

1747sdnpt

Welcome to the Forum ! I'm sure we did a thread on this just a couple of days ago.

You want to configure the 1747SDNPT passthrough driver in RSLinx Classic. There is a precondition to set up the 1747-SDN's M0/M1 file sizes then configure the 1747SDNPT driver in RSLinx.

For 1747-SDN modules with 4.015 to 5.01 firmware, set the M0/M1 files to 361 words. Version 6.002 and higher use 395 words. Cycle the controller from program to run mode once after making this configuration change.

This driver is a lot slower than the 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD or any Logix-family bridge, but it's pretty straightforward for just one node.

There are descriptions of the driver in the RSLinx Classic Online Reference, and in the RA Knowledgebase, document AID # 6944.

Ken is the man. He fills in the voids that I forgot all about. Once again I was going off memory. I don't thank Ken even looks at the books anymore he is better than a book we can understand him.

Yes, RSNetworx for DeviceNet is the configuration tool for Allen-Bradley scanners and most EDS-configurable slave devices.

RSNetworx runs in "Starter Kit" mode where it will fully configure nodes 0 through 5 without needing an activation. That works pretty well when you are configuring just one slave node. You still need an installation CD or a license code for downloading it.

DNet passthrough error, not resolved

Sorry to add to an old post, but I basically have the same issue and haven't found a good answer.

Ken, I have seen in many forums you are the go to guy for questions of this nature.

I keep getting the 395 word error, switch to run mode and back to connect error when trying to add the devicenet pass-through driver in rslinx by pointing to the processor.

I am trying to just get the driver to work so I can see the 1747-sdn devicenet card in RSLinx. I have no nodes hooked up, I am making sure I can connect before traveling to support this environment.

I am using 1747-L541 5/04 processor series B rev 3 OS 401 FRN 9, RSLinx 3.51.01 CPR 9 SR5.1, 1747-sdn series B FRN 6.002, RSLogix500 version 9 CPR9.00.00, RSNetWorx for Dnet 21.00.00 CPR 9 SR 5.1. I have both DF1 and 1784-U2DHP usb to serial connectors (DB and rs-232). Have a dnet usb connector I can use as last resort, but avoiding using that would be best so I dont have to change terminating resistors, etc. and potentially have to support that, which is outside the scope of my work.

I saw in one post you mention 64-bit windows OS does not work for passthrough. Guys in the office say it has worked in the past, but none of them have actually gone to do the exact work/connecting I have to do (someone formerly with the company I assume).

Do you think because it faults when I toggle to Run mode since I have logic downloaded to the processor without a dnet network in the office is the issue? Or maybe a factory talk activation issue? I have licenses but I think there could is an issue with it. Really any advice at this point would help steer me in the right direction. Once I get the driver to work so I can at least see the 1747-sdn in rslinx, I will be most of the way out of the woods. Thank you very, very much in advance.

John

update* - I found an old laptop running 32-bit windows XP and am getting the same error with that as well. It does say the M0 and M1 word length must be set to 395 for the 1747-sdn and I am only able to set it for the controller with the logic open in RSLogix500.. Not sure how to set the sdn word length if RSanything wont see it..

1747 5-04 processor.jpg 1747-sdn device net card.jpg

Last edited:
After a lot more investigation and effort, it appears opening and closing RSLinx for the 901th time may have just been the trick. I literally didn't do anything different than I had been trying before. The passthrough driver finally worked and I can now see the scanner card and one node which I wired in after the fact in RSLinx and in RSNetWorx for DNet. Before getting it to work I switched to a blank project because I was getting a lot of errors using an existing project and downloading after re-reading in i/o that caused a lot of errors in the logic and prevented a download. The fault when switching to run went away after this. I still had pass-through driver errors for a while but it eventually just decided to take and to work. not sure why the sdn module still flashes unconfigured when rsnetworx sees them when going online and then uploading from the sdn card, but I can iron that out sometime today. I hope my updates help someone in the future.