RSView32 ActiveX Components Commands

aiki202

I am trying to display a .pdf file from within RSView32 using the ‘Adobe Acrobat Control for ActiveX’ without success.

I have successfully used the Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX component with the following command:
Invoke Help_Topics.MicrosoftWebBrowser2.Navigate2("C:\Project_092208\rsview\HTML\Main_Help.htm")

The ‘Navigate2’ method does not appear to work with the Adobe component.

I would also like to use the ‘Autodesk DWF Viewer Control’ in the same fashion.

In summary, I need the commands to invoke both activeX components correctly.

Using Win XP & RSView32 Ver 7.4.

Thanks in advance!

OK I figued out how to display a single pdf page with the following command:

Invoke MyDisplay.AdobeControl.src("C:\Project_092208\rsview\pdf\SLC500_Getting_Results.pdf")

This method will only allow me to display the first pdf document. If I send another Invoke command with a different document path it fails.

I realise what a less-than-helpful reply this is but........I had similar problems 7-8 years ago with the PDF viewer ActiveX that comes as default; I found another ActiveX on the Web that worked superbly but I can't remember where I found it (Adobe website?) and the project files are long gone.

Hey, thank you, any reply is better than no reply. I find it interesting that there are not more people using these types of functions in RSView32. I called tech support and they gave me some info but certainly not everything I needed. I am making progress and will post any sucessful results.

Why not use ebmedded links in your PDF file for naviation instead, or you can put navigation bookmarks in the PDF. You'll need a PDF editor to do that.

I just did something similar w/ Wonderware, but chose to just invoke the PDF reader instead of the ActiveX container. Worked out well for the dozen or so online manuals/drawings that I had. Is there a reason you want to imbed the control instead of using the external viewer?

I just though it would be 'cleaner' this way, not having to leave the HMI application at all. I will try using the external app method and see how that works. Thanks.

robertmee said:
I just did something similar w/ Wonderware, but chose to just invoke the PDF reader instead of the ActiveX container. Worked out well for the dozen or so online manuals/drawings that I had. Is there a reason you want to imbed the control instead of using the external viewer?
Just tried it out, works great. Thanks.

aiki202 said:
OK I figued out how to display a single pdf page with the following command:

Invoke MyDisplay.AdobeControl.src("C:\Project_092208\rsview\pdf\SLC500_Getting_Results.pdf")

This method will only allow me to display the first pdf document. If I send another Invoke command with a different document path it fails.
To aiki202

I was excited to know that you were able to get the first PDF to open. All I need is for one PDF to open inside RSVIEW32. I tried to get this to work using your code but nothing happens when I do it.
Could you share some more information on how you were able to get the first pdf to open?

The steps I completed to get a single PDF to display were as follows:

-Create a display that contains the ActiveX control.
-Call the display with a command button from the main display using the commands:

Display your_display_name 'actual name of your display
Invoke your_display_name.activeX_control_name.src("path_to_your_file.pdf")

This method consistently works well to display a single pdf.