Rslogix500

zqew05

What are the differences between softwares RSLogix500-PRO and RSLogix500-Starter ? The reason being, my boss is thinking of buying the Micrologix training kits from LTS to save on training costs. We have PLC5's but the Rockwell courses are too expensive. Maybe these training kits will give us some baseline knowledge. Any pros and cons on this approach to learning?

Last edited:
Training you can afford.

If it is training you are seeking, you need to go to The Learningpit.com and buy LogixPro. Also, you will need to download the latest update plus the student labs. This training software is intended to emulate the SLC 500 plc programming software, but if you know your systems, the PLC5's are programmed nearly the same way the SLC's are. So check it out and see what you think. I know for a fact it is less expensive than anything on the market and I use it to teach my PLC courses here in NC.

RANDYLUD

Yes, I bought the LOGIXPRO CD (waiting for delivery) for home use but this training kit will be for use at my worksite

LTS IS INCLUDING THE RSLOGIX500-STARTER WITH THE TRAINING KIT, WHAT IS ITS DIFFERENCE TO RSLOGIX500-PRO?

I heard that the "starter package" only allows RS-232 comms (DF1 and DH-485-PIC driver), no PCMK, no PCC?

I don't see it on the "matrix".

The other "important" thing you don't get is online editing, but if you are going to be using SLC 500, 5/01, 5/02, or Micrologix, You wouldn't be able to use the online editing feature anyway.

By the way zqew05-
I think your 'caps lock' is on. Press it once to turn it on press it again to turn it off. :) :)

I might be wrong on this but can't you download a version of RSLOGIX500 for free that can program the micrologix PLC? I think they have a starter kit for Micrologix also that is pretty cheap.

I did a google search for the LTS training kit and it looks like the only extra thing you get is the handy dandy carrying case for the PLC. If that is true I would buy a micrologix, download the software and save some money. That is if the only thing you are buying this for is training and not to program any other PLC's that use RSLOGIX500.

I would agree, I think the 10-point micrologix is about $150, free software, and then you can build your own interface similar to this with some cheap AutomationDirect.com lights and pushbuttons.

Last edited:
Thank you, I did not know RSLOogix5/500-PRO has RSEmulate, that's nice to know. As for the trainer, I won't get paid to assemble one for my employer, he just wanted me to research whatever is cheap out there. Does anyone know any vendor that sells something like what LTS has? I bought several items thru the Internet to have my own 1771 PLC to play with at home.