FactoryTalk "Trend"

Robot_Man

I have created a Trend screen in RSFactoryTalk to display some temperatures. With the screen displayed, I can see the trace and history building up. If I navigate away from the screen and come back, the previous info. has disappeared and I'm staring at none of the historic data. The new values appear as if it's the first time the screen is displayed.

How can I retain these values such that when I return to the Trend screen the history is still there?

Also, I would like to be able to save this information in a csv file (or similar) on a rolling 7 day basis for future access by excel or similar.

All hints and help appreciated! Many thanks.

I havent done it but you may need a cf card to store the data and look back historically. You will probably also need to trend the data to the cf card.

I may be wrong here as i havent used the trending facility yet but have seen it done and on these they used a cf card and/or logged the files to an external server over ethernet.

Last edited:
You have to make a 'datalog model' with all the tags you want to trend. Then under the 'Pens' tab of the trend object, you have to reference the datalog model you created.

I havent done it but you may need a cf card to store the data and look back historically. You will probably also need to trend the data to the cf card.

I may be wrong here as i havent used the trending facility yet but have seen it done and on these they used a cf card and/or logged the files to an external server over ethernet.

You do not need a CF card to store trend data. You do, however, have to setup a data log model to log the tags shown on your trend.

I posted a screenshot here: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=44384

Last edited:
You do not need a CF card to store trend data. You do, however, have to setup a data log model to log the tags shown on your trend.

I posted a screenshot here: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=44384

Jimbo, Robot Man never mentioned if he had ME or SE, with SE you do not need to use a CF memory, with ME running on a PC you do not a CF memory card, but with a PV plus you will need a CF memory.
There is an application thar converts what is on the datalog ( with or without CF) and convert it to CSV (XL file).

If you are using a PC with Runtime ME then you can set up a ME Datastore ActiveX module. AB provide this on their Knowledgebase as a download.
It can log up to 100floats to a csv file and periodically create a new one. The logging has a min time of 1second (if I remember).

For the 'DataStorePlus ActiveX Control for RSView Machine Edition' module, see KnowledgeBase article 35155. This module can also be used with a PanelView Plus CE. See article 58936.

Okay, I'm running FactoryTalk SE Local Edition on a VersaView PC so the data files would be stored on the hard drive of the PC, rather than on CF.

Hopefully that narrows things down a bit....

To summarize:

The FactoryTalk View Trend Object can run as a live trend or as a historical trend.

What you've seen is that if there is no "datalog model" running in the background to hold the trend data, then the Trend only shows data when it is in the foreground and actively being displayed.

FTView SE can define multiple datalogs, and can save them to a local hard drive or a network drive or anything else that can store data. The Help file and the User Manual describe how to configure a Datalog Model.

The format that FTView stores the data in is a very compact binary format. It's not "open" or easily readable by anything but the Trend Object, but it saves on disk space.

I'm not an expert on manual datalogging, though I am familiar with using the DataStore Plus ActiveX in FTView Machine Edition. Hopefully somebody familiar with the FTView SE features can chime in.

Hi All,

I have same problem here, Not like RSview 32 whereby if you create a datalog for the trend and write all the needed addresses in that mentioned datalog, then In Macro you run automatically that datalog when booting up.. In FTview SE it sucks.. i created everything but its still NOT logging when whenever you open that particular trend thats the time it logs but i dont know if its logging.. i go to the target database (Local) its seems there is unreadible files .. anybody can help why this datalogging is not working..

thanks ..

When you create a data log, select the File Set format if you only need the data for a trend. This format provides "unreadable" data if you try to open it in something other than the trend tool.

If you need to use the data in a trend and you want the data available for other uses, select the ODBC option and save your data to a database.

Which of these formats did you use?

OG

I have same problem here.. FTview SE really given us alot of problem.. RSview 32 is much more easier than this software.. I choose LOCAL as my data base.. i can see the file on the path but the historical trend have no data ..

please help ..

Problem with dataloging...FTView Studio

Good afternoon colleagues
I have a problem with Datalog files.:confused:
Historical data is written to the Data Log Models server FT view. Recently, there was a glitch, some variables become not write in Float.DAT, and String.DAT. I create a new Data Log, the same thing.
What could be, where to look?
I would not want to format the server.

datalog.png

Under start up make sure you have the correct data log, set this up in the explorer window under data log models.