How do I find an unknown IP address?

seaston_65

Hello all,

So the company I'm with just got the RSLogix 5000 software so I can make some changes to an existing machine.
The Machine is running a CompactLogix and I don't know the IP address it's using.

I'm search old posts, and found this one: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=48491&highlight=Find+IP+Address

But I can't seem to find any devices when I use RSLinx.

I currently have my computers IP address set manually (to one we use to connect to a vision camera), and my network Connections tells me I'm connected, but RSLinx shows nothing.
When I set the Computer to "Obtain an IP address automatically" Network Connections faults out and can't set an IP address.

The machine was buitd by a third party company, and they all leave at 4. I like to get online tonight, rather than wait till tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Download Wireshark from www.wireshark.org.

Plug into the switch with the CompactLogix. Start capturing with Wireshark. Cycle power to the CompactLogix.

Type the letters "arp" into the Display Filter field in Wireshark and hit Enter. You'll see the CompactLogix broadcasting its IP address upon bootup, to confirm that there are no other devices on the LAN with that IP and to populate the MACID tables of the connected switches.

There are other threads about this; search on "Wireshark" and "ARP".

Did the supplier of your machine give you a copy of the program that you can open with RSLogix 5000 from the off line file as this file has the fully documented program.

If yes then the address should be available through controller properties from your off line file.

If yes then the address should be available through controller properties from your off line file.

Where is the fun in that?? we need to spend a lot of time and money doing these kind of things... or just anyone will think they can do it and we will no longer be needed :whistle:

🍻