Trouble with basic circuit

kevilay

Hello, im doing a school project that controls a rockband guitar. So what i was trying to do is use my 24v off my plc output to latch two wires. Maybe im doing something wrong but heres what i did

----24v(plc output)------[voltage divider](approx 70k and 20k)*---- across the middle is 6.2v i used that running to the gate of a IRF 511 (mosfet) then connected the two leads i want to connect across the drain and source.

I dont remember exactly what resistors i used. But their around 70k and 20k and between the two i get exactly 6.2v

These two leads are ground line for a seperate circuit inside the rockband guitar, its like 2v i believe.

Will a IRF511 work for this? Right not when the 6.2v turns on and off there is no response on the drain-source connection

Kevin

Probably not. If you insist on MOSFET, use a much smaller one.
I would use a reed relay with a 24 volt coil. That gives you isolation, no need for a divider, and zero volts drop. Many manufacturers. Look at these from Coto. 8100 or 8L.

Last edited:
6.2V is reasonable trigger voltage but are you sure that 0..6V is measured across G and S?

are source and drain swapped? if so the built in diode will be forward biased and you sill see no effect from triggering.

what is the voltage of the circuit where D and S are used?
also what is the current needed by that circuit? the IRF is power transistor and even with trigger voltage at zero there is leakage current up to 0.250mA (this may not be low enough if circuit impedance is not low.

note that mosfets can be damaged if not handled properly.

btw. why use mosfet instead of optocoupler or solid state relay? this will also give you isolation (you don't want line frequency humm due ground loops).

I have a parts kit from school, i was just looking through it trying to use something out of it rather then ordering in something. I have a solid state relay i could use. Ill give that a try. I think the mostfet does work cause the gate voltage source ground and the S lead ground need to be common. Im not sure if im able to do that I have to look at the circuit. Any other ic's or is there a way to do this with any sort of circuitry. I have tones of diodes, resistors, caps and about 30 various IC's. I also have a PIC