keyence plc KV-16AR

bmkirkla

I am currently in the process of programming this Keyence PLC for my senior design project. If I do not get this program done, I do not grauate as well as four other people. My question is how to create a counter that does a one count when it recieves a signal from a analog to digital converter. The analog siganl comes from a linear transucer sensor that moves down when a piece of chipboard is removed from a stack. I have used unitronics software and created a counter in it before, but for some reason I cannot get a counter set up in the Keyence software. I really need help here. Also if someone knows how to set up a timer as well, I could use help there.

Assuming you're talking about KV Ladder Builder...

- Move the cursor as needed
- TAB on keyboard (or Edit -> Symbol input -> Symbol selective input)
- Choose the instruction type (C/T are Basic type, hi-speed CTC/CTH are Application instructions)
- Once you have selected an instruction or a type, DON'T FORGET TO CLICK "Instruction Word Help" !! You'll get various help windows with functions' parameters/types and data ranges for each PLC type.

Notice that you can receive help/example files and notes by using the link in my last post. Really useful instant-help for beginners. Why wouldn't you get a programming manual ??

Regards.

Laurent

I have the programming manual, but it does not clearly state how to do this. I understand that you have to set a device for this, but I am not sure how to do this (when the device is offline). I got some of the literature from that link, but the one, i guess, with the steps on how to create a counter will not open up on my computer. It is an Adobe file, and I have the latest version of Adobe. Your help is appreciated.

Also, do you know the correct way to wire the power source to the PLC. I know where to hook the wires to the input voltage, but it is not powering up. I am using a 24V DC source.

OK, i did what you said about setting up a counter, but every time that I do that I get a message that says operand illegal. I believe that I am getting this because the drop down box for Operand 1 does not have any choices in it. Also, if I want to use the signals from the A/D converter, how would I specify the counter to recieve this information. Thank you for your help.

Not the best software for learning PLC programming.

The KV ladder software is a little funky when it comes to setting up timers and counters, and the user documentation leaves a lot to be desired. Your user profile indicates that you opted not to receive email, and so there is no easy way to help you. I would be more than happy to send you an example program, which will show you the best way to set up a timer, and a counter. If you are interested email me at [email protected].

Big Al

- When you select a counter you define : 1) the preset value 2) a counter's number or address 3) the clock input, which is your input in fact or any internal relay.

Let's wire your converter as input 0002. With counter number 10 and 50 as a preset value :
--------¦ C010 ¦

Unless you select "2-bytes value" for Operand 2 in the TAB box, it's true, you'll get a "Unusable device" message. There is no choice in the drop down box Operand 1 because no address or type is selectable.

- You could also use INC on DM words and load/reset/preset the words by STA instructions. The @INC function works on rising edges of your input rung and makes your program more easy to read (since you don't write DIFU bits for rising edges detection). Select @INC by clicking "Execute Once at ON".

0002 1005
----¦ ¦--------------------------------------------¦ DIF U ¦
1005 DM0025
----¦ ¦--------------------------------------------¦ INC ¦

where 1005 is an internal relay, OR :

0002 DM0025
----¦ ¦---------------------------------------------Î INC ¦

avoiding to program the internal relay.
Use the CMP instructions for comparisons.

You're right BigAl ! Those PLC are quite old now and their software is not at the cuting-edge of the control engineering...
Regards.
Laurent

Thank you to both of you for your help. Laurent, I understand to a degree what you are saying about using the CMP command. Would it be possible to do an LDA for DM 01600 (where the A/D converter sends information) and then use CMP.

The sensor works by having a voltage the decreases as the stroke of the sensor increases. So when the stroke is 0, I believe the voltage is 25 V. The 25 V will derease as the stroke of the sensor grows. So at 20mm, the voltage is 0. So how would I compare this information. There is an example in the programming manual that I have, but like everything else with this plc, it is not very clear.

thanks for the helpl.

Hi bmkirkla,

Yes. You load DM1600 and compare to another value by CMP. The operand will be a constant or data memory to be compared with your DM. Comparison results are tested by using special bits 2009-2010-2011 for <, =, >.
For tests, write an internal bit with the comparison result : this way you can easily monitor it (2009 to 2011 are common bits refreshed by the CPU at almost every calculation or test instruction. If you attempt to monitor directly these bits you may get wrong results based on another CMP instruction i.e).

Procedure :
2002 --- LDA DM0060 --- CMP #0100 --- 2009 --- (DIFU 1010)
where 2002 is Always ON, 1010 an internal relay

1010 --- (INC DM050)
DM050 is incremented each time DM1600 becomes < 100.

Verify by changing manually values in DM0060. When all is running as needed, replace DM0060 by DM1600.

Actually it's a good exercise. I haven't worked with those PLC for years. Didn't know someone would ask for this stuff. I used to get from KV10 to KV300 and replace them in machines. I've kept a hand-held programmer and a DOS software wich is more simple. In case...

Regards.
Laurent

i keep getting an illegal parallel connection error when I try to compile my program. It says that the error is at the first relay that I set up, or the 2002 relay on the diagram above. What does this mean, how can I fix it.

thanks for the help.