PV550 upload

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
One of our customers has an issue with the display on their PV550. This is not a system we installed so we don't have the original program. They have a replacement PV550 and want to know if we can transfer the program to the replacement PV. The PV part # is 2711-K5A8. From the picture they sent it looks like they are using DH+ to communicate to a SLC 5/04. From the reading I've done it looks like you can upload the program using PanelBuilder32 and then download to the new PV. I just wanted to confirm this. Shouldn't I be able to connect to the RS232 port to upload and download?

Yes. The RS-232 port on the DH+ equipped PanelView Standard terminals is usually not used for a serial printer but rather left in "printing disabled" mode and used for upload/download. The cable is a straight-through DB9F / DB9F serial cable, not the usual "null modem" 1747-CP3 used for programming SLC controllers.

ATA Flash Memory cards (usually a sub-2GB CF card in a Type II PCMCIA carrier) can also be used to transfer applications between PanelView Standard terminals, not even requiring a copy of PanelBuilder32 software.

Ken,

Thanks for the quick response. The second option you gave would be much preferred since we are in North Carolina and the customer is in Florida. We do have people in the area although they are not programmers. However sounds like this should be pretty straightforward for them to do. I will let them know.

Thanks again!

The memory card needs to be formatted for FAT16, and most CF/ATA Flash cards available retail these days are 4GB and up and come as FAT32 by default. That's why I recommend an older CF card; I've used 128MB and 256 MB SanDisk cards extensively.

The procedure for using these memory cards is described in detail in Chapter 4 of the User Manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf

Because this is a PanelView 550, it's possible it's too old to use ATA Flash Memory, which can be read by most modern PCs. Version 3.x firmware is required to use ATA Flash memory.

If your PanelView is older than that, you need to get a "linear flash" card. Probably the best way to get one is to call your local RA distributor or support office; I had a couple tucked away when I worked there and only used them every few years.

The PV550 firmware is version 4.20 so they should be ok. I actually have an 8MB and 16MB CF card with a couple of PC card adapters. Still come in handy.

Hopefully there is a GO TO configure button on the panelview. If not, you will have to power it down then back up again and press the little white dot while it starts.

From the panelview manual:

The Configuration Mode menu appears on powerup if an application
is not loaded or if the menu was last displayed prior to a reset or
power down.

To access Configuration Mode on keypad terminals if an application is
running, simultaneously press the Left and Right arrow keys on
the terminal keypad.

To access Configuration Mode on touch screen terminals:

press the GoTo Config. Screen button on application screen or

press the filled box in the lower right corner of the screen
during powerup.

And if it doesn't have the config button somewhere, now would be a good time to add it.

Hopefully there is a GO TO configure button on the panelview. If not, you will have to power it down then back up again and press the little white dot while it starts.

From the panelview manual:

And if it doesn't have the config button somewhere, now would be a good time to add it.

it would be hard to add the goto button if all they are doing is transfering the program with a cf card