Is there a way to make this small progrgam better.

kapooski2012

Small project that I've been working on. I had a problem to turn on the last conveyor when the count was done on the third conveyor. The goal of the program is to count 5 gizmos on each of the 3 small conveyor and turn itself off when it's done and the last of the 3 conveyor turns on the 4th one on and then counts 15 and turns off and cycles back to the begining.After losts of trials and god only knows how many errors which I'm not even sure how I got there (the teachers assistant helped me, but did not explain,class overcrowded.
I've included the zipfile of the program which I hope can be opened because it's free and a PDF file.

Last edited:
Looking at your ladder you can only load 5 gizmos from conveyor 0 then it stops. How do you plan to get the other 10 thru there.

All the conmveyor are running and there's a limit on each one.The logixpro simulator allows me to toggle each limit switch to simulate that the gizmo is passing throu the limit couting 5 and turning off. If I understand your gizmo chart it shows all the gismo on one conveyor instead of coming from three different ones and dumping into a large one

conveyor.jpg

Thanks for the diagram. The picture/print is always helpful.

ok so you want to dump 5 gizmos from each conveyor. After you have counted to 5 for all 3 conveyors. Then you want to Start the 4th conveyor and discharge all 15 gizmos past that conveyors limit switch.

Ok then I suggest you add Rung Comments for your logic. This will help you understand and others understand what your logic is trying to accomplish. You should always comment your logic and make it a habit.
It will help you remember and others coming behind you to know what you were thinking when you developed your logic. It also helps you to see if your logic make sense. By talking or commenting your Rungs it will help clear up your errors.

ex. This Rung Counts 5 Parts Exiting From Conveyor 1.
ex. When Counter For conveyor 1 Is Done Then Stop Conveyor 1.

Last edited:
Thanks for the diagram. The picture/print is always helpful.

ok so you want to dump 5 gizmos from each conveyor. After you have counted to 5 for all 3 conveyors. Then you want to Start the 4th conveyor and discharge all 15 gizmos past that conveyors limit switch.

Ok then I suggest you add Rung Comments for your logic. This will help you understand and others understand what your logic is trying to accomplish. You should always comment your logic and make it a habit.
It will help you remember and others coming behind you to know what you were thinking when you developed your logic. It also helps you to see if your logic make sense. By talking or commenting your Rungs it will help clear up your errors.

ex. This Rung Counts 5 Parts Exiting From Conveyor 1.
ex. When Counter For conveyor 1 Is Done Then Stop Conveyor 1.
I totally agree on putting rung comments,that was my bad. I just hope the comments I put in make sense. I will correct this one right now and repost with rung comments, thanks for the input and I will try to make it a habit eventhough I am not the fastest keyboardist

Reposting the program with rung comments, this way it makes more sense (even to me) but I still dont understand having the two XIO on rung two.
Having the done bit on each rung were the ouput is make sense but the other two. One thing is, the program does not work without it...

Last edited:
write out what you want to happen on paper in words.

when program starts Then Run all 3 widget conveyors.
then write out what you want to do next.

write out what you want to happen on paper in words.

when program starts Then Run all 3 widget conveyors.
then write out what you want to do next.
Here is the entire thing that was given to me.
This is verbatim; You are writing a small program that will control multiple conveyor systems. There are three small conveyor systems (manufacturing) which feed product into one larger conveyor system. The 3 small conveyors (one for each assembly area line) will run continuously until each has delivered 5 widgets to the main conveyor (product collection area) then stop. The main conveyor (shipping) will not operate until all three assembly line conveyors have delivered their 5 widgets (5 each,15 total), it will then start and deliver the 15 units to shipping and then stop. The smaller conveyors are disabled during this cycle until the 15 have been delivered to shipping, and then the process begins again. For this program you will use coils, contacts an up counter (CTU)
Small conveyor #1 Limit switch (counter)= switch #0
Small conveyor #2 Limit switch (counter)= switch #1
Small conveyor #3 Limit switch (counter)= switch #2
Main conveyor #4 Limit switch (counter)= switch #3
Small conveyor #1 control = Output #0
Small conveyor #2 control = Output #1
Small conveyor #3 control = Output #2
Main conveyor #4 control = Output #3

Im new here. You project description says for all 3 conveyors to run until each has counted 5 for a total of 15? As your program is now each will stop when they count 5.

your code written out in Steps

Step 1 Run conveyors 0, 1, and 2 continuously. When system Starts.

Step 2 When conveyor 0 has counted 5 widgets then stop conveyor 0

Step 3 When conveyor 1 has counted 5 widgets then stop conveyor 1

Step 4 When conveyor 2 has counted 5 widgets then stop conveyor 2

Step 5 When conveyor 0, 1 and 2 counters are done and conveyor motors 0, 1 and 2 have stopped. Then Start conveyor 3 until conveyor 3 counter is done.

Step 6 When conveyor 3 counter is done and conveyor 3 motor has stopped then Reset counters for conveyor 0, 1, 2, and 3 to Restart Sequence.

Ok, make your program do this. step by step. These are your Rung comments and description of operation.

Last edited:
To answer redbud: yes each small conveyor should stop the moment the counter has counted 5.
I guess I could copy and paste the steps to the rungs and it would be good to go! BTW cwal61 do you have logixpro?

Is post #11 the latest? If so, here are some hints. Rung 2 is not consistent with rung 0 or 4 regarding how the inputs control the outputs. Rung 6 should should have outputs from conveyors 0, 1 & 2, not just 2. This is not all of the solution just a few hints based on what you have posted.